Recipe Raan ( Indian leg of lamb)

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:18 PM
This is supposed to be a real treat if you're an Indian. It's my wife's birthday tea Sunday night and she spotted this recipe from Margaret fultons book. ( mg,the same as your book) it's marinaded for 48'hrs so I'd better get started. Pics to follow
Russ

Ingredients
  • 12.5kg (5 1b) leg of lamb, skin and fat removed
  • 60g (2 oz) fresh ginger, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • rind of I lemon
  • juice of 2 lemons
  • 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
  • 6 cardamom, peeled
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 ½ teaspoons chilli powder
  • 1 tbsp salt 1 cup natural yogurt
  • 150 g (1 ⅓ cups) whole, unpeeled almonds
  • 4 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp saffron threads, soaked in 3 tsp boiling water
Method
  1. Prick the lamb all Over with a fork and make about 12 deep cuts.
  2. Blend the ginger, garlic, lemon rind and juice, spices and salt in an electric blender or food processor.
  3. Spread over the lamb and leave to stand for 1 hour in a flameproof casserole.
  4. Blend 4 tablespoons of the yogurt with the almonds and 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Stir in the remaining yogurt and pour over the lamb.
  5. Cover tightly and leave for 48 hours in the refrigerator. Let the meat return to room temperature.
  6. Sprinkle over the remaining sugar and cook, uncovered, in a preheated hot oven, 220°C (425°F), for 30 minutes.
  7. Cover, lower the temperature to 160°C (325°F), and cook for 3 hours, basting occasionally.
  8. Sprinkle the saffron water over the meat and cook for a further 30 minutes or until very tender.
  9. Remove the meat from the pan: wrap it in foil and keep warm.
  10. Skim off the fat from the casserole and boll the sauce until thick.
  11. Place the meat on a dish and pour over sauce.
  12. Carve in thick slices to serve.
Source: Margaret Fulton's Book of Indian Cooking (1985)

Last edited by a moderator:
Prepping

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Then prior to wrapping for 48 hrs. The smell is just Devine, Indian spices and almonds look so good. There are about 12 deep slashes in the leg to allow the flavours to develope.

Russ

image.jpeg

I first had raan in a restaurant in Delhi back in the early 90's. My first experience of eating without utensils. It was wonderful.

I've had two subsequent attempts of cooking it myself both of which were less than successful.

I wish you luck with what I consider a very difficult dish to make.

I first had raan in a restaurant in Delhi back in the early 90's. My first experience of eating without utensils. It was wonderful.

I've had two subsequent attempts of cooking it myself both of which were less than successful.

I wish you luck with what I consider a very difficult dish to make.

Thanks @Yorky . There recipe is Margaret ful tons and it only took 20 mins to prepare and wrap. The drippings are the sauce that goes with it. I've never had this before but it does look good. Margarets recipe are so easy to follow. Her samosas are just heaven?

Russ

When I get a moment I'll add the recipe to the top post as I happen to have this book. Would be great if you could do so in future @rascal - especially when you post something that looks so interesting. Otherwise we just get lots of folk asking for the recipe!

My problem with it @rascal was that whereas the raan I had in India was juicy but was also slightly dry (almost akin to crispy duck pancakes) my efforts were "damp". Difficult to describe.

When I get a moment I'll add the recipe to the top post as I happen to have this book. Would be great if you could do so in future @rascal - especially when you post something that looks so interesting. Otherwise we just get lots of folk asking for the recipe!
Thanks mg, I didn't put recipe up as I got told off ( sort of) for doing it or not crediting someone. Anyway were half way through marinade. Going out to buy date and tamarind chutney for tomorrow. Son says not to forget that.

Russ

My problem with it @rascal was that whereas the raan I had in India was juicy but was also slightly dry (almost akin to crispy duck pancakes) my efforts were "damp". Difficult to describe.

I like to serve it a bit rare but in this case I will follow instructions to the letter.

Russ

Please note...

I added one reaspoon of fennel and one of coriander seeds as well. I can't cook Indian without those two going with the cumin. They are the top three seeds in my opinion. Everything else was exactly.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom