Ranch dressing: is there a basic recipe?

I don't understand the concept of a pizza dip...
Dip the pointy end of your pizza slice in a bit of ranch dressing, same as you would a celery stick or a carrot stick.

Alternately, some people will just drizzle it over the entire pizza, which is why I don’t share with those people and make them get their own pizza to ruin.

Dip the pointy end of your pizza slice in a bit of ranch dressing, same as you would a celery stick or a carrot stick.

Alternately, some people will just drizzle it over the entire pizza, which is why I don’t share with those people and make them get their own pizza to ruin.

I'm shocked.

It’s still less offensive than ham and pineapple on a pizza.

I'm OK with ham and pineapple so long as there is some chilli in the topping. Its the idea of dipping pizza which is odd.

Anyway - I have an idea for a ranch dressing for the current challenge (yoghurt). Hence my questions in this thread...

Here’s ya some pics:

Food Network

Amazon

I have never seen this. I have seen people dip the outer edge crust in something after eating the part of the pizza that is covered with cheese, pepperoni, or whatever else is on it. I have been known to make a garlic butter to dip the "bones" but very rarely and usually only upon request by other family members.

I have never seen this.
Just google “pizza and ranch” and you can read the whole sordid history of it. It apparently originated in the Midwest. 😒

Some places here will specifically ask if you want a side of ranch with your pizza, others have it listed on the menu as “ranch dressing available upon request,” but I don’t think a single pizza joint here would raise an eyebrow if you asked for ranch.

Now, what I will do (at home, especially) is pour some pizza sauce in a little bowl and dip my pizza in that. That is completely normal and exceptionally brilliant behavior on the part of the pizza eater, and should be encouraged and celebrated everywhere.

Just google “pizza and ranch” and you can read the whole sordid history of it. It apparently originated in the Midwest. 😒

Some places here will specifically ask if you want a side of ranch with your pizza, others have it listed on the menu as “ranch dressing available upon request,” but I don’t think a single pizza joint here would raise an eyebrow if you asked for ranch.

Now, what I will do (at home, especially) is pour some pizza sauce in a little bowl and dip my pizza in that. That is completely normal and exceptionally brilliant behavior on the part of the pizza eater, and should be encouraged and celebrated everywhere.
Oh yes, I do like that idea. I love sauce! I think that's clever, because adding it to the pizza before baking might make the pizza soggy. And yes, I do believe I have done that before but not that often.

Oh yes, I do like that idea. I love sauce! I think that's clever, because adding it to the pizza before baking might make the pizza soggy. And yes, I do believe I have done that before but not that often.
My wife doesn’t like pizza sauce very much. I think she was dropped on her head as a baby, or raised by skunks or something, so when I make pizza, I have to lightly sauce it.

Ranch, though - even she curls her nose at that one.

My wife doesn’t like pizza sauce very much. I think she was dropped on her head as a baby, or raised by skunks or something, so when I make pizza, I have to lightly sauce it.

Ranch, though - even she curls her nose at that one.
I like extra cheese on my pizza, so do the rest of the family. Except my husband. We have to make his pizza "special" and the rest of us gorge on extra cheese. Unless it's a very thin crust, because the thin crust just can't handle the overload of cheese!

Am I to understand that ranch dressing is not a dressing but a dip? I mean, a dressing to me implies tossing some sort of salad in it.

It seems we do have bottled (I googled). I don't buy ready-made dressings so hadn't looked. In the UK the idea of powder packets for a salad dressing would seem extremely odd. I'm not being critical. Just an observation.

My question is, what are the essential ingredients? Its buttermilk and....?

The original Ranch Dressing was a packet of ingredients sold by a guy who bought a Ranch called Hidden Valley Ranch. You just mixed the contents of the packet with buttermilk and mayo.

I would look for a copycat recipe for that dressing.

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 4.20.30 PM.jpg

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom