Ranch dressing: is there a basic recipe?

Am I to understand that ranch dressing is not a dressing but a dip? I mean, a dressing to me implies tossing some sort of salad in it.
No, traditionally it's a salad dressing and it was a long time before people started using it for other food. Now it gets used for other stuff as well, like dipping wings, veggies on a veggie platter (like broccoli, carrots, radishes, etc) and apparently pizza. I think that for veggie dip they often use more sour cream and less buttermilk to make it thicker.

When my kids were young, it was a guaranteed way to get them to snack on veggies if I put out a platter of raw veggies (carrots and broccoli) with ranch for dipping. Much better alternative than potato chips or those horrible pizza roll snacks.

Am I to understand that ranch dressing is not a dressing but a dip? I mean, a dressing to me implies tossing some sort of salad in it.

It started as a dressing, but good marketing made it into a dip, too. It is good for dipping veggies into, like celery sticks, carrots, broccoli and such.

Another common thing for people to dip pizza in is garlic butter. Some pizza places put some in the box with every pizza. Ranch dressing with pizza is a no-go in my house.

CD

No, traditionally it's a salad dressing and it was a long time before people started using it for other food. Now it gets used for other stuff as well, like dipping wings, veggies on a veggie platter (like broccoli, carrots, radishes, etc) and apparently pizza. I think that for veggie dip they often use more sour cream and less buttermilk to make it thicker.

When my kids were young, it was a guaranteed way to get them to snack on veggies if I put out a platter of raw veggies (carrots and broccoli) with ranch for dipping. Much better alternative than potato chips or those horrible pizza roll snacks.

Ah yes, it is common to dip Buffalo wings into either Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing (with a side of celery).

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 4.32.34 PM.jpg

CD

I used to use the packets with a small container of sour cream and make a dip for crudites.

We have a recipe for a meal salad that uses a Cajun spice mix for the dressing and the chicken, which is also soaked in buttermilk, plus pecans and currants. No sour cream in the dressing, just mayo, buttermilk, the spice mix, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic and some lemon zest.

MG, I would recommend you give Ranch dressing a try, just for the experience of some Americana. I can tell you this, in my opinion, it is WAY better than Heinz Salad Cream.

CD

You’ve been cooped up too long! You’ve got to get out and live!

Ranch, especially if you’re making it yourself, can be a dip or a dressing. Just make it a little thicker for a dip. Not unusual for salad dressings, especially ones that are mayonnaise-based, to do double duty that way.

MG, I would recommend you give Ranch dressing a try, just for the experience of some Americana. I can tell you this, in my opinion, it is WAY better than Heinz Salad Cream.

CD
Since she makes her salad "dressings" from scratch, it's going to be a new adventure for her for sure! We Americans are really having a big influence on her in a culinary fashion, LOL. What else was it we eat over here recently that piqued her curiosity so she had to order some? Ah yes, pancake mix, that was it!

CD

I will have to make it myself as I've an intolerance to mayo and the ready made dressings contain that.

I love ranch dressing, so here´s my recipe. No exact measurements because it´s all a question of adjusting the ingredients to fit your taste:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp dill weed
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp chives
1/4 medium onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2-3 tsps lemon juice
Whack in a blender until smooth.
Keep in the fridge.

I will have to make it myself as I've an intolerance to mayo and the ready made dressings contain that.
Well that yogurt you mentioned earlier should make a tasty and tangy alternative. And a convenient option for the recipe challenge!

What is it about mayo you can't tolerate, or is it only commercially made mayo?

Back
Top Bottom