Ranch dressing: is there a basic recipe?

Years ago I swore off of white creamy dressings..I like them, but realize that I don't need the saturated fat and sodium..I would dip anything fried in Ranch..so, that is a double whammy right to the ol' ticker..nothing like an onion ring or batter mushroom in ranch..chase it down with a swig of beer...be still my erratically beating heart!

Years ago I swore off of white creamy dressings..I like them, but realize that I don't need the saturated fat and sodium..I would dip anything fried in Ranch..so, that is a double whammy right to the ol' ticker..nothing like an onion ring or batter mushroom in ranch..chase it down with a swig of beer...be still my erratically beating heart!
Lifes too short RL. It's not about saturated fat, it's about dosage. Avocado has more saturated fat than salmon. We just need to learn to have "just a little" occasionally. lol

Salmon vs Avocado - In-Depth Nutrition Comparison

Lifes too short RL. It's not about saturated fat, it's about dosage. Avocado has more saturated fat than salmon. We just need to learn to have "just a little" occasionally. lol
True..and I have dabbled..pun intended..but it's harder to keep track of..blanket restrictions are easier..lol

It's a UK thing as far as I know. I've done a lot of grocery merchandising and never seen it.

If I had to guess, I'd bet it's similar to miracle whip.
Never heard of Heinz Salad Cream.... maybe I should walk down the salad dressing aisle of the suppermarket again?

It's in our grocery. Saw it a good while back when salad cream had also come up, then within last 3 weeks or so noticed it again. It was with salad dressings.

I've never heard of dipping pizza in ranch either, although there is 1 pizza place here that has the option of your pizza being either drizzled with a garlic sauce or some in a container for dipping.

It's a UK thing as far as I know. I've done a lot of grocery merchandising and never seen it.

If I had to guess, I'd bet it's similar to miracle whip.

I doubt its similar. Its a very acidic (slightly sweet) tasting creamy dressing. I think most people who didn't have it as kids in the UK (back in the 50's and 60's) don't like it. I do, but its a nostalgia thing really - plus I can't eat mayo (and don't really like it anyway). karadekoolaid also likes salad cream I think.

I doubt its similar. Its a very acidic (slightly sweet) tasting creamy dressing. I think most people who didn't have it as kids in the UK (back in the 50's and 60's) don't like it. I do, but its a nostalgia thing really - plus I can't eat mayo (and don't really like it anyway). karadekoolaid also likes salad cream I think.
Miracle whip is sweet. I find it disgusting, lol.

Miracle whip is sweet. I find it disgusting, lol.

I wonder if it's like Marzetti's coleslaw dressing. Maybe I'll buy some today and find out. We're low on Marzetti's anyway and I use it for things other than coleslaw anyway.

I wonder if it's like Marzetti's coleslaw dressing. Maybe I'll buy some today and find out. We're low on Marzetti's anyway and I use it for thkngs other than coleslaw anyway.
Anything Marzettis makes is superior to other brands, in my opinion.

I wonder if the version in the photo is for the American palate. The salad cream I know is not really very sweet but very acidic...

I mean compared to mayo.
Miracle whip is a bit tangy and slightly sweet. I just don't like even a hint of sweet on my turkey or roast beef sandwich.

Heinz makes a salad cream..we sell it at the shop..a British fellow I know buys it for his potatoes..

Heinz makes a salad cream..we sell it at the shop..a British fellow I know buys it for his potatoes..

salad-cream.jpg

Back
Top Bottom