Ranch dressing: is there a basic recipe?

Probably, I’ve never tried. I’ve been making my own mayonnaise (about half the time) for just the last year or so…give me time! :laugh:
Yeah, I knew you made mayo, thats why I know if you put that tasty ingenuity to work you can figure out how to make salad cream!

Yeah, I knew you made mayo, thats why I know if you put that tasty ingenuity to work you can figure out how to make salad cream!
I just watched a couple of copycat videos, and it seems to come down to:

Mayonnaise
Mustard
A buttload of sugar
Vinegar
Milk

…and that’s yer basic salad cream. I’ll make extra mayonnaise the next time I make it and try turning some into salad cream.

Smaller Kroger in my hometown…no. Bigger Kroger two towns over…YES! :woot:
Also, every Meijer I’ve ever been in have it, and Meijer isn’t posh or anything (for those who aren’t familiar with them) - they just have a decent international section.

I just watched a couple of copycat videos, and it seems to come down to:

Mayonnaise
Mustard
A buttload of sugar
Vinegar
Milk

…and that’s yer basic salad cream. I’ll make extra mayonnaise the next time I make it and try turning some into salad cream.
Its the sugar that I find disturbing. I like sugar. Just not on a meat and cheese sandwich or in salad dressing.

Also, every Meijer I’ve ever been in have it, and Meijer isn’t posh or anything (for those who aren’t familiar with them) - they just have a decent international section.
We just don't have Kroger or Meijer close to my house. Kroger is an hour away and Meijer is 25 minutes. Not going out of my way to buy something I'm probably not going to like, lol.

Its the sugar that I find disturbing. I like sugar. Just not on a meat and cheese sandwich or in salad dressing.
It was funny watching the videos, as most just used granulated white sugar, and they were making a small amount, so a couple of tablespoons, maybe, but one person was making a lot, so she dumped in what looked like a good cup of powdered sugar, and it gave me a start, that’s for sure. :laugh:

It was funny watching the videos, as most just used granulated white sugar, and they were making a small amount, so a couple of tablespoons, maybe, but one person was making a lot, so she dumped in what looked like a good cup of powdered sugar, and it gave me a start, that’s for sure. :laugh:
Powdered sugar is 10x, right? Ugh.

We just don't have Kroger or Meijer close to my house. Kroger is an hour away and Meijer is 25 minutes. Not going out of my way to buy something I'm probably not going to like, lol.
That’s just how it is here, if I weren’t willing to drive some distance, I’d be stuck with a very small hometown Kroger, and ALDI, and a Walmart for groceries. All three are less than 20 minutes from my house.

Anything else…the “big” Kroger is 40 minutes away, the closest Meijer is 45 minutes away, Dorothy Lane is about 35 minutes away, and Jungle Jim’s is about 50 minutes away.

Even some things that I consider pretty basic, like a block of whole milk mozzarella, I can’t get in town. I have to drive at least 35 minutes for that. I was irritated last week, because I was looking for Major Grey’s chutney (mango chutney), which I’ve been able to get at my local Kroger in the past, but not any longer. I had to go to Dorothy Lane.

That’s just how it is here, if I weren’t willing to drive some distance, I’d be stuck with a very small hometown Kroger, and ALDI, and a Walmart for groceries. All three are less than 20 minutes from my house.

Anything else…the “big” Kroger is 40 minutes away, the closest Meijer is 45 minutes away, Dorothy Lane is about 35 minutes away, and Jungle Jim’s is about 50 minutes away.

Even some things that I consider pretty basic, like a block of whole milk mozzarella, I can’t get in town. I have to drive at least 35 minutes for that. I was irritated last week, because I was looking for Major Grey’s chutney (mango chutney), which I’ve been able to get at my local Kroger in the past, but not any longer. I had to go to Dorothy Lane.
Ooh I love jungle Jim's. I wish we had one.

I like Miracle Whip on certain things only. I use it to make tuna salad, with onions, pickle relish and sometimes hard boiled eggs. I prefer mayo on most deli sandwiches.

I also like MW as a veggie dip, sort of like using Ranch as a dip.

Ranch dressing, Miracle Whip and Mayo have their places. I don't dip pizza into any of them.

CD

Every time my MIL serves cold cuts and bread to make sandwiches at gatherings, if I ask her or FIL for mayonnaise they hand me a jar of miracle whip, lol. I use ranch dressing instead.
Yes, in that case I'd likely take ranch over "miracle" whip. Or have the sandwich "dry", if the ranch bottle says, "No Fat:".

Oh yes, I detest fat free foods and condiments. Yuck.

Oh yeah, fat free foods are generally bad, and full of sodium and sugars. Fat free cheese is like a slice of plastic.

I've never tried fat free ranch. I can only imagine it is not good.

CD

Back
Top Bottom