Ranch dressing: is there a basic recipe?

It just makes me feel mildly sick in the stomach whether home-made or not. Its a physical reaction - not serious but not nice. I get it with taramasalata too. I don't really understand why but its very real.
No doubt it's real. It might be too much fat all at once?

Where I was brung up, anything you put on a salad was dressing. And I certainly wouldn´t "dip" a salad. So I think the question is a bit redundan

I agree, really. To me (in the UK), a dressing is something put on a salad or something you toss a salad in. But as said by others above, in the US its used as a dip sometimes (often?). Hence my question.

No doubt it's real. It might be too much fat all at once?

I'm sure its to do with that. But it seems to be to do with how the fat is 'combined'. I can eat cream and butter with no problem although I have to say I'm not that keen on creamy things.

We are off topic!

I agree, really. To me (in the UK), a dressing is something put on a salad or something you toss a salad in. But as said by others above, in the US its used as a dip sometimes (often?). Hence my question.
I think when using ranch for a dip, many people make it thicker. So really it would be "ranch dressing flavored dip"...now that's redundant!

Personally I go to a lot of trouble making pizza to then tip it in ranch to me makes no sense and should be against the law, it's the new ketchup and I wouldn't use ketchup on pizza either. My partner Angela, well that's a different story, it's ranch on everything. lol

Last edited:
Personally I go to a lot of trouble making pizza to then tip it in ranch to me makes no sense and should be against the law, it's the new ketchup and I would use ketchup on pizza either. My partner Angela, well that's a different story, it's ranch on everything. lol
My son used to put ketchup on everything until he was about 6. Like carrots even. Cringeworthy.

I don't make scratch Ranch Dressing/Dip for the some reasons stated earlier, I'm the only one who eats it.
My preference is this brand:
IMG_1519.JPG

This brand is very thick, I mean very thick!
Whenever I start to prep some raw veg for say a stew or soup, I'll break this out and chop, dip, snack, repeat :laugh:
And yes, I have been known to 'dip' my salad into a small container of Ranch, as DH detests anything creamy, so if we're sharing ...
As to dipping pizza in Ranch :ninja: And Pineapple and/or Ham aka Canadian Bacon pizza :stop::thumbsdown::yuck:

I like vinaigrette and ranch together on salad sometimes.

Never heard of Heinz Salad Cream.... maybe I should walk down the salad dressing aisle of the suppermarket again?
It's a UK thing as far as I know. I've done a lot of grocery merchandising and never seen it.

If I had to guess, I'd bet it's similar to miracle whip.

Back
Top Bottom