Recent Site Outage

Hi, 👋
SatNavSaysStraightOn I'm so sorry to hear you've been in the hospital, and that this has probably caused extra unnecessary stress for you at this moment.
I wish you a fast recovery.

Regarding the ban, lol, it looks like we all thought the same thing. I was also going through my mind, thinking about what I could have done. I didn't even start participating properly :D

Regarding recipe infringement, from what I understand, the law regarding recipe copyright is that recipes can't be copyrighted, only photos and descriptions of the recipes (also descriptions of the steps) can be. Only adding links and accrediting the source should be enough in this case.

I'm happy and relieved I'm still here, sending you all lots of love.

Regarding recipe infringement, from what I understand, the law regarding recipe copyright is that recipes can't be copyrighted, only photos and descriptions of the recipes (also descriptions of the steps) can be. Only adding links and accrediting the source should be enough in this case.
That was our understanding as well and the member concerned had met all of that and the relevant acknowledgement and so on.

Copyright laws vary from country to country.

I protect my professional photographs (I don't care about the amateurish food photos that I post here). But, if someone uses my protected photos in a way that can benefit them financially, I contact them and ask them to take them down, or pay me. My car photos get posted on car forums regularly by forum members, and when I come across them, I generally only ask that they give me credit in their post, so maybe I can get some business from it. The only time I ever took action was when someone used one of my photos to create a calendar that they sold to the public, without even asking me for permission. That got ugly, but I won.

Just be mindful, and give credit when you can.

CD

Can't the memes posted pose a problem too?

All photos and recipes I post are my own, I have once however used a stock photo for my satay sauce recipe when I just joined . I shall report that post just to be sure and create a new thread.

Last edited:
Can't the memes posted pose a problem too?

All photos and recipes I post are my own, I have once however used a stock photo for my satay sauce recipe when I just joined . I shall report that post just to be sure and send you one of my own pics .
Some photos are free to use if they are credited (Wikipedia photos for example), so it varies. It will only be an issue if the photo is a paid photo you've 'acquired' or you've taken from another site/blog/etc without their consent.

Some photos are free to use if they are credited (Wikipedia photos for example), so it varies. It will only be an issue if the photo is a paid photo you've 'acquired' or you've taken from another site/blog/etc without their consent.
I reported it, I got it through Google back then but thought it was OK as it's obviously a stock photo but we can better be safe

This is....to say ridiculous would be a compliment. How can a recipe be copyrighted? 1 teaspoon of salt will never have the same amount of granules as what the copyrighted recipe calls for, so technically it's not the same. If the "copyrighted" recipe calls for stirring clockwise 4 times, can I do it 3 times, or perhaps counterclockwise instead to evade infringing likeness rights? If that's not legally defensible then how can there be more than one brand of ketchup or mustard? Where do you draw "The line"? This is just silly. Sorry, you have to go through this. I can completely understand using photos that aren't yours but.....come on. Example, McDonalds "Special sauce" is nothing but Thousand Island dressing with an extra dash of vinegar, or Worcestershire sauce. Are there legal wars going on over that? To add to that, McDonald's stole the BigMac© from Big Boy, their marketing department made it look like they had the idea first.

This is....to say ridiculous would be a compliment. How can a recipe be copyrighted? 1 teaspoon of salt will never have the same amount of granules as what the copyrighted recipe calls for, so technically it's not the same. If the "copyrighted" recipe calls for stirring clockwise 4 times, can I do it 3 times, or perhaps counterclockwise instead to evade infringing likeness rights? If that's not legally defensible then how can there be more than one brand of ketchup or mustard? Where do you draw "The line"? This is just silly. Sorry, you have to go through this. I can completely understand using photos that aren't yours but.....come on. Example, McDonalds "Special sauce" is nothing but Thousand Island dressing with an extra dash of vinegar, or Worcestershire sauce. Are there legal wars going on over that? To add to that, McDonald's stole the BigMac© from Big Boy, their marketing department made it look like they had the idea first.
I agree. Most flavor combinations have been covered somewhere by somebody. I don't think a recipe can be copyrighted but words can be. If the poster had written the content instead of copying it, all would be fine, I think. I can think of better hamburgers for McDonald's to have pilfered than what ended up being the big mac. It's been decades since I entered a McDonald's store.

folks, there is very little to wonder about it - here in USA. courts have ruled up and down the whole chain:

a list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted.
the prose description of how to combine/make/cook/bake/etc the dish is copyrighted, by default, the instant the author commits it to paper, no "copy right application / declaration" is needed or required.

I'm sure everyone has seen posters who simply copy/paste the whole recipe, pix and all.
it's not legal.

how the New World Order governments consider the problem is out of my realm.

Right now, my best advice to members is this:
  1. Recipes must still be written up in a thread of their own. No exceptions. This benefits our site and also actually finding a recipe.
  2. Copying an ingredients list should be fine, but if you have made an alteration to it, such as more/less salt/pepper/chilli/sugar/other or added another ingredient to suit your tastes, all the better. Ingredients are typically written up in the order they are added when making a recipe, so don't worry about this point too much.
  3. The method must be reworded in your own words, as must any description or intro to the recipe. Please refrain from quoting any copyrighted content unless you have been granted permission (which can be producedon demand) or the site is your own. I know most of us write our own intros. (Simply breaking up steps in a method without rewording is not enough.)
  4. Then a link to the original with inspired by or based on, or similar. Please continue to acknowledge the original source. This is just good manners/netiquette and I don't want this to be dropped. Good manners go a long way.
  5. It should go without saying your own photos unless you are using a GNU Free Documentation License (such as photos from Wikipedia) and these must be credited as per Wikipedia directions
As far as I can see, that should be more than enough to avoid any potential issues.

If you're in doubt, please ask.

Back
Top Bottom