Recent Site Outage

So, what if I'm using a recipe from my mom, that is very similar to one that exists, that author happens to find it and does "this" again. Are we going to get punished again for something that had nothing to do with it in the first place?
It seems like someone could go out of their way to make a recipe, post it and then search these forums and do "this" just to be petty.

So, what if I'm using a recipe from my mom, that is very similar to one that exists, that author happens to find it and does "this" again. Are we going to get punished again for something that had nothing to do with it in the first place?
It seems like someone could go out of their way to make a recipe, post it and then search these forums and do "this" just to be petty.
It's the way that it is worded in the method and description that is the key (as far as I can tell).

After all, if beans on toast or spaghetti in tomato sauce were copyrighted then I'd love to own the original book they are in!

And if you think about ingredients, many companies have their own secret recipes and there are many alternatives available as well without issues.

It also isn't the first time a recipe has had to be removed from the site after someone has challenged it. A former member was notoriously bad for it and caused quite a few headaches.

Usually I would be given a time period in which to respond and remove or dispute accordingly, but by bad luck they chose the very same day to lodge the DMCA take down that I was admitted into hospital with a life threatening flare-up and I missed the time period as a result. (This was the first flare-up in the 15 or 16 years since diagnosis outside of surgery causing issues.)

I've taken steps to try to avoid outages again. It's the downside of being just me owning the site and having access to that email account (which gets a massive amount of spam). Had they have actually been more polite/nicer about the matter and made an account and reported the post, none of this would have occurred because reports go to all staff members.

It's the way that it is worded in the method and description that is the key (as far as I can tell).

After all, if beans on toast or spaghetti in tomato sauce were copyrighted then I'd love to own the original book they are in!

And if you think about ingredients, many companies have their own secret recipes and there are many alternatives available as well without issues.

It also isn't the first time a recipe has had to be removed from the site after someone has challenged it. A former member was notoriously bad for it and caused quite a few headaches.

Usually I would be given a time period in which to respond and remove or dispute accordingly, but by bad luck they chose the very same day to lodge the DMCA take down that I was admitted into hospital with a life threatening flare-up and I missed the time period as a result. (This was the first flare-up in the 15 or 16 years since diagnosis outside of surgery causing issues.)

I've taken steps to try to avoid outages again. It's the downside of being just me owning the site and having access to that email account (which gets a massive amount of spam). Had they have actually been more polite/nicer about the matter and made an account and reported the post, none of this would have occurred because reports go to all staff members.

Can you add other staff members to the DMCA alert email list with your hosting provider? It's always good to have some redundancy.

CD

SatNavSaysStraightOn
I am so sorry you are facing such critical health problems. I do not know how you manage. You really are a warrior.
If I understand correctly the basic rules are:
. Do not use photos from the recipe WEB site.
. Use your own words for the Method.
. Make some small alteration to the recipe either ingredients or method.
This is such a wonderful forum. I am really P.O.ed that the integrity of the members and the forum would be questioned. Please keep your spirits up, take care of yourself and know that we all love and support you.

Back
Top Bottom