Regional Sandwiches From Around The World

CraigC

Guru
Local time
3:48 PM
Have you tried/made regional specific sandwiches? What cultures brought their sandwiches with them as immigrants that have now been adopted where you live, even if local ingredients are used? We love Cuban sandwiches and Media Noches. Muffuletta sandwiches from NOLA, a contribution from the Italian immigrants. These are just a few that we like.

I've made Banh Mi and Po Boys (Shrimp & Oyster) several times, and will probably make them again. Would a Reuben be considered regional? Probably not, but I've made them many times, too.

I've made Lobster Rolls more than once, though I feel guiltier and guiltier each time with the abuse involved in having a perfectly cooked lobster swimming in mayo.

Have you tried/made regional specific sandwiches? What cultures brought their sandwiches with them as immigrants that have now been adopted where you live, even if local ingredients are used? We love Cuban sandwiches and Media Noches. Muffuletta sandwiches from NOLA, a contribution from the Italian immigrants. These are just a few that we like.

This is a huge topic as there are many many many different types of international sandwiches.

I've made Banh Mi and Po Boys (Shrimp & Oyster) several times, and will probably make them again. Would a Reuben be considered regional? Probably not, but I've made them many times, too.

I've made Lobster Rolls more than once, though I feel guiltier and guiltier each time with the abuse involved in having a perfectly cooked lobster swimming in mayo.

I have no second thoughts as I've been cooking live seafood the majority of my life. I'm a certified Hunter Safety Instructor for Florida, but I won't shoot a deer. Not because of any emotional/moral reason, I simple don't like the taste of venison from the white tails in south Florida. That statement got me labeled as a "Radical Conservationist" during my interview to become a Wildlife Officer for the then Florida Game and Freshwater Fish Commission.

IMO, Reubens and Rachels are regional, being created by Jewish immigrants in NYC.

From other regions/states/ cities:
Beef on weck, Buffalo, NY
Pit Beef, Baltimore, MD
Italian beef, Chicago, IL
Cheese Steak, Philly, PA

Come on there have to be more! Get in the game!:woot:

Korean toasted egg sandwich (gaeran to su tu)

2ff33b13-8f1c-b3dc-bf2f-c064844fc6b8-mediumoriginalaspectdouble.jpg

Image from https://witness.theguardian.com/assignment/54d23abae4b05afd6a164796/1374461

Pie Barm in Manchester UK. Also called a Wigan Kebab in Wigan.

Sheffield (UK) pork sandwich. Pulled roast pork, stuffing and apple sauce. Crackling if you are lucky.

Cornish crab sandwiches (I love these) Cornwall UK.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom