Reputable place to get crawfish?

Here in Florida and through out the Caribbean, the clawless lobsters (Panulirus argus) are often referred to as "crayfish". I believe Russ has a similar species in New Zealand that are also called crayfish, also found down under. The Chinese also export a freshwater crawfish which I would never touch. In Louisiana crawfish season is from just before Mardi Gras through the end of June. Though some folks sell "pond raised" all year long.

Here in Florida and through out the Caribbean, the clawless lobsters (Panulirus argus) are often referred to as "crayfish". I believe Russ has a similar species in New Zealand that are also called crayfish, also found down under. The Chinese also export a freshwater crawfish which I would never touch. In Louisiana crawfish season is from just before Mardi Gras through the end of June. Though some folks sell "pond raised" all year long.
Our best crayfish are exported to China. My nephew used to catch and pack for export prior to covid.

Russ

We love crawfish here in Texas.
We cook em the same way our neighbors in Louisiana do.
In fact Texas grows a lot of crawfish just like Louisiana does. The only difference is we dont have the Atchafalaya basin to harvest them from.
You have to be careful when buying them online,a lot of places in Louisiana raise them in man made flats and feed them dead fish,which of course makes them taste like fish.
So be sure and pay attention where the crawfish come from before buying them online.

We love crawfish here in Texas.
We cook em the same way our neighbors in Louisiana do.
In fact Texas grows a lot of crawfish just like Louisiana does. The only difference is we dont have the Atchafalaya basin to harvest them from.
You have to be careful when buying them online,a lot of places in Louisiana raise them in man made flats and feed them dead fish,which of course makes them taste like fish.
So be sure and pay attention where the crawfish come from before buying them online.

I sense that you are in the Houston area. Lots of cajun/Vietnamese fusion food down there.

I can get live crawfish up here, but I have to order them a week or two in advance. I'm from Port Arthur, and I ate a lot of cajun food back there. I have to make my own if I want good cajun up here.

CD

I sense that you are in the Houston area. Lots of cajun/Vietnamese fusion food down there.

I can get live crawfish up here, but I have to order them a week or two in advance. I'm from Port Arthur, and I ate a lot of cajun food back there. I have to make my own if I want good cajun up here.

CD

Just outside of Houston in Katy.
There's a crawfish farm on the way to Matagorda in Wadsworth.
They have really good crawfish!!!
We pick it up on the way to Matagorda when we rent a riverfront place.
We'll sometimes make the drive early in the morning and bring it back to Katy for a boil.

Back
Top Bottom