Retro Recipe Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:44 AM
The ultimate 50's retro cake inspired by @Caribbean girl's post Pineapple upside-down cake. I used the recipe as a starting point and then searched other recipes, eventually putting together my own version after trial and error! Tinned pineapples and lurid dyed maraschino (cocktail) cherries are a must! :D I had a bit of fun with some 1950's accessories.

IMGP0280.jpg

Photographed today in natural light.
Ingredients
For the topping:
6 rings of tinned pineapple
50g softened butter
11 lurid red cherries (I used Opies cocktail cherries which are sold in a jar)
2 Tbsp caster sugar (or use brown sugar for a more caramelised finish). I was going for vibrant red and yellow!
For the cake:
100g SR flour
100g caster sugar
100g softened butter or margarine
2 medium eggs
1 Tbsp juice from the pineapple tin.

Method

• Heat oven to 180C.
  • Cover the bottom of an 8 inch non-stick baking tin with the butter and sprinkle over the 2 Tbsp sugar.
  • Position the pineapple rings on top and place a cherry in the centre of each. Fill any gaps with cherries.
  • Beat together the cake ingredients to form a soft batter and pour it over the pineapple rings.
  • Bake for 25 mins or until cooked through when tested with a cocktail stick.
  • Place a plate over the cake and invert. Hey Presto!

IMGP0277.jpg

The ultimate 50's retro cake inspired by @Caribbean girl's post Pineapple upside-down cake. I used the recipe as a starting point and then searched other recipes, eventually putting together my own version after trial and error! Tinned pineapples and lurid dyed maraschino (cocktail) cherries are a must! :D I had a bit of fun with some 1950's accessories.

View attachment 2526
Ingredients
For the topping:
50g softened butter
2 Tbsp caster sugar (or use brown sugar for a more caramelised finish). I was going for vibrant red and yellow!
For the cake:
100g SR flour
100g caster sugar
2 medium eggs

Method

Heat oven to 180C.
Cover the bottom of an 8 inch non-stick baking tin with the butter and sprinkle over the 2 Tbsp sugar.
Position the pineapple rings on top and place a cherry in the centre of each. Fill any gaps with cherries.
Beat together the cake ingredients to form a soft batter and pour it over the pineapple rings.
Bake for 25 mins or until cooked through when tested with a cocktail stick.
Place a plate over the cake and invert. Hey Presto!

View attachment 2527

:laugh: :thumbsup: excellent :hungry:

No need to be smug.:mad: :laugh::laugh:. I liked getting older up until I was 57. After that (and that was quite a while ago :ohmy:) things seemed to go downhill in the body department. Still...I'm young at heart and refuse to wear old lady clothes or stop dying my hair bright red! Sod 'growing old gracefully'!

Pretty cake. Too bad I never really got into pineapple upside-down cake. My sweet tooth isn't that big. My mom used to make it back in the 60s, and everyone in the family loved it, except me.

CD

View attachment 2526
Ingredients
For the topping:
50g softened butter
For the cake:
100g SR flour
100g caster sugar
2 medium eggs

Method
  • Heat oven to 180C.
  • Cover the bottom of an 8 inch non-stick baking tin with the butter and sprinkle over the 2 Tbsp sugar.
  • Position the pineapple rings on top and place a cherry in the centre of each. Fill any gaps with cherries.
  • Beat together the cake ingredients to form a soft batter and pour it over the pineapple rings.
  • Bake for 25 mins or until cooked through when tested with a cocktail stick.
  • Place a plate over the cake and invert. Hey Presto!

View attachment 2527

Oh this has to be done ❤️

Back
Top Bottom