Revelations for the egg

One important egg skill omitted - how to tell the difference between a raw egg and a cooked one, when both still in their shells.

OK. How do you achieve this fundamental task? Sounds like a shake deal.

I've never come across a bad Egg, unless it was some person who was notorious for being one. That bad Eggs are rare in the carton, is probably why most people don't check if an Egg is bad.
You've reminded me of an egg story:

A couple of weeks ago, I was at Kroger, and I needed some eggs, grabbed some, opened them to check for cracks, then put them in the cart.

While that was going on, another fellow grabbed some eggs. When I looked up, I noticed that two of his eggs were very obviously broken, like the tops had been pushed in. Broken, not cracked. Broken.

He was a much older gentleman, and when he put them in his cart, I thought maybe he just missed seeing that, so I said, "Hey, excuse me, but you've got two broken eggs in there."

"Yup," he said as he wheeled his cart away, "Last time I get sent to the store for groceries, I bet."

:laugh:

You've reminded me of an egg story:

A couple of weeks ago, I was at Kroger, and I needed some eggs, grabbed some, opened them to check for cracks, then put them in the cart.

While that was going on, another fellow grabbed some eggs. When I looked up, I noticed that two of his eggs were very obviously broken, like the tops had been pushed in. Broken, not cracked. Broken.

He was a much older gentleman, and when he put them in his cart, I thought maybe he just missed seeing that, so I said, "Hey, excuse me, but you've got two broken eggs in there."

"Yup," he said as he wheeled his cart away, "Last time I get sent to the store for groceries, I bet."

:laugh:

The joy of being a senior is that you can feign senility.

Hey, I should put that in as a Chinese Fortune Cookie Message.

2) Cracking open Eggs without breaking the Yokes, Sunnyside up Eggs

You might think that the answer to cracking open Eggs to not break the Yolks is to be damn careful. But it has happened time and time again, that when I have broken open Eggs, I have clobbered the Yolks. So how could I not wonder if there is a good way to do it.

I see two ways ... 1) Break the Egg on its side, midway between the bulb and the point or 2) Break the Egg at the bottom of the Bulb. I've never tested, but usually break Eggs on the side.

But there may be more to it ... I could do like I normally do and break Eggs by giving them a rap on the edge of a bowl or pot ... or I could do what I have never done and take a butter knife and gently tap around the sides of the Egg until it develops a complete crack encircling it. I'm probably being lame not doing it that second way.

I think I recall seeing some sort of Egg stand to perch an egg on while tapping a crack around its girth. I'll google for that.

It seems simple enough, but maybe once a person gets started doing it the catastrophic way, its just plain luck instead of skill.

10/11 Minutes or 15? What's the difference between a Hard Boiled Egg and a Soft Boiled Egg?
15 minutes seems a bit long. Soft boiled is around six minutes.

I have one of those egg toppers. As you might suspect, they don't work nearly as well as promised.

When I crack an egg, I crack it around the middle, but I crack it on a flat surface, not the edge of a bowl. I give it a pretty hearty whack, and one whack will get me a straight crack about 1/3rd of the way around, and that's enough to get it open pretty safely.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...-crack-an-egg-like-jacques-pepin-248411?amp=1

15 minutes seems a bit long. Soft boiled is around six minutes.

I have one of those egg toppers. As you might suspect, they don't work nearly as well as promised.

When I crack an egg, I crack it around the middle, but I crack it on a flat surface, not the edge of a bowl. I give it a pretty hearty whack, and one whack will get me a straight crack about 1/3rd of the way around, and that's enough to get it open pretty safely.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thekitchn.com/heres-how-to-crack-an-egg-like-jacques-pepin-248411?amp=1

Thanks for the enlightenment. I recall seeing someone crack open an Egg and pour out its contents, entirely with just one hand. That definitely results from lots of practice becoming second nature.

Thanks for the enlightenment. I recall seeing someone crack open an Egg and pour out its contents, entirely with just one hand. That definitely results from lots of practice becoming second nature.
It's also helps if the egg you're using is a bit on the larger size - easier to manipulate.

It's not terribly hard - when you go to crack it, make sure your hand/fingers are snug/close together around the egg, and get your thumb and one of your better fingers near where you expect the crack to develop when you smack it.

Give it a firm whack, get that thumb and finger to catch just a little on either side of the crack, then just spread your hand out and open and there it is.

It's good for impressing little kids and shutting up smarmy sisters-in-law who can't themselves cook, but will tell you that you can't cook if you can't crack an egg with one hand "like the pros."

As you can guess, I have experience with both, especially the latter. 😒

It's also helps if the egg you're using is a bit on the larger size - easier to manipulate.

It's not terribly hard - when you go to crack it, make sure your hand/fingers are snug/close together around the egg, and get your thumb and one of your better fingers near where you expect the crack to develop when you smack it.

Give it a firm whack, get that thumb and finger to catch just a little on either side of the crack, then just spread your hand out and open and there it is.

It's good for impressing little kids and shutting up smarmy sisters-in-law who can't themselves cook, but will tell you that you can't cook if you can't crack an egg with one hand "like the pros."

As you can guess, I have experience with both, especially the latter. 😒

So that's what braggadocian means.

The Kitchen Cooking School gives a Crash Course Video Series on How to Cook Eggs with Grace. This series covers many of the topics I have listed in the original post in this thread.

You spin them. One spins freely, the other wobbles. I can't remember which is which though. Slight flaw in my plan.
My guess is the boiled egg will wobble because the heavier yolk will not be centered.?

Back
Top Bottom