Revelations for the egg

I've got the egg topper. It's for cooked soft boiled eggs. The sort often eaten by placing in an egg cup. I'm aware that a lot of Americans don't use egg cups, I find they take about 6 minutes. Soft boiled eggs are also good in a Scotch egg:

1609497516468.png

Here's a vegetarian soft boiled Scotch egg I made a few years ago: Recipe - Sesame Deep-fried Egg with Sumac and Sesame dressed Salad

Last edited:
Here's my supposed-to-be soft-boiled egg from today:

I don't half mess things up, that's for sure. I had it on a timer for six minutes (usually I just keep my eye on the clock, but eggs are unforgiving). I was also preheating the oven. When the timer expires, it beeps. When the oven reaches temp, it beeps.

It reached temp before the timer expired, but I heard the beep and thought, "Eggs are done!" Took them off, got them plated, then a couple of minutes later, the timer went off. Whoops!

I tossed them back in the water and simmered them for another minute, and I told MrsT, "These are either way undercooked or way overcooked." - and it was the latter.

Not too upset, because between the two, I'd rather have overcooked.

Last edited:
I don't half mess things up, that's for sure. I had it on a timer for six minutes (usually I just keep my eye on the clock, but eggs are unforgiving). I was also preheating the oven. When the timer expired, it beeps. When the oven reaches temp, it beeps.

It reached temp before the timer expired, but I heard the beep and thought, "Eggs are done!" Took them off, got them plated, then a couple of minutes later, the timer went off. Whoops!

I tossed them back in the water and simmered them for another minute, and I told MrsT, "These are either way undercooked or way overcooked." - and it was the latter.

Not too upset, because between the two, I'd rather have overcooked.

It's nice for a klutz like me to hear from somebody like you that they make such disasters too.

But those disasters are fun, aren't they? It's kind of like auditioning to be one of The Three Stooges. :roflmao:

I have been cooking for decades and I've never done an egg test. I don't recall ever getting a bad egg either.

One way to work around that issue is to crack them separately. For example, crack each egg into a cup or bowl, add it into a bigger bowl and continue for however many eggs you are using. That way, you can throw out any bad eggs before they get mixed in.

It's nice for a klutz like me to hear from somebody like you that they make such disasters too.

But those disasters are fun, aren't they? It's kind of like auditioning to be one of The Three Stooges. :roflmao:
Yeah, me and soft-boiled eggs don't quite get along. There are several examples of my near (and not so near) misses on here.

I will admit that I may be in search of the soft-boiled egg that doesn't exist - hard-cooked white and completely liquid yolk. I've had a lot of people claim that they can do it, but I've never seen the evidence. There's always either a little wisp of white in the yolk, or a little crumb of cooked yolk in there some where.

from

The Food Lab: Perfect Boiled Eggs​

Oct 9, 2009

"The five degree temperature difference between when the egg white and the egg yolks firm is what allows chefs at fancy-pants restaurants to serve those "slow-cooked" eggs. They simply place the egg in a 140 degree water bath, wait about 45 minutes (by which point the egg has reached 140 degrees all the way from edge to center), then carefully crack them. The results is a white that is soft and translucent but holds it's shape, and a yolk that is still completely liquid. Beautiful."
==============

sounds like the white may not be a firm as you like....

from

The Food Lab: Perfect Boiled Eggs​

Oct 9, 2009

"The five degree temperature difference between when the egg white and the egg yolks firm is what allows chefs at fancy-pants restaurants to serve those "slow-cooked" eggs. They simply place the egg in a 140 degree water bath, wait about 45 minutes (by which point the egg has reached 140 degrees all the way from edge to center), then carefully crack them. The results is a white that is soft and translucent but holds it's shape, and a yolk that is still completely liquid. Beautiful."
==============

sounds like the white may not be a firm as you like....
Right. I want it firm and rubbery. And the yolk the consistency of honey.

Not that I'm hard to please, mind... :)

well, whites go totally firm at 180'F
yolks start to thicken at 145'F and are firm at 158'F

thermodynamics holds, iffin you do the 140' sous vide thing, then jack up the temp afterward, you should be able to get the whites hotter/more firm before the heat can penetrate so far as to start setting the yolk. some experimenting required....

had a bunch of yolks left over from (something) - put them individually in a small bowl of water thence into a 300'F oven.
pulled at varying times - I say, old cookie, had some delightful stages of yolks. but not sure what one does with them....

I suppose this thread, for the benefit of members and lurkers who may reference it, ought to have some mention of poaching an Egg, the definition, procedure and alternates, I mean.
far too much misinformation to be considered a valid source.

bad eggs do not sink.

I think that is true - its fresh eggs which sink.
far too much misinformation to be considered a valid source.

Mod.comment:
Not quite sure what you mean but this thread certainly can't be regarded as some sort of cooking guide for eggs. Nor can most threads on this forum be regarded as 'guides'. This is a discussion thread and its probably trying to cover too much information and too many methods in relation to eggs in one thread. It would probably have been better to keep it simpler and have separate threads for individual ways of cooking eggs (poaching, boiling, frying etc). Indeed there have been quite a few threads like that in the past with regards to cooking eggs. From a mod. perspective I can't now separate the posts here into sepearate threads because they are so intertwined. What I will do is move the 'poaching of eggs' to a new thread, which may help.

Last edited:
These are 10-minute eggs:

Put in boiling water, covered, and cut the heat back to a gentle simmer.

Back
Top Bottom