Recipe Rhubarb, Rose and Almond Bircher Porridge

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:42 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I've had a hard time deciding on which recipes to try out for the rhubarb ingredient challenge but have finally decided on this one as one of them.

I've had to dairy free it, which veganises it as well, but it sounds good, so good that I'll have it for breakfast and evening meal whilst my husband is away from home this week. I can't claim it add my own, it's not different enough from the original, but I will review it and provide my own photos. i have put the sweetener in as optional, I actually prefer rhubarb without any additional sugar and suspect that it will be too sweet for me otherwise. I will probably use orange and grapefruit juice to keep a level of tartness to it, rather than orange or Apple juice by itself which is always too sweet for me.

Now why is it under vegetables? well technically rhubarb is a stalk of a leaf which means it is not, not botanically speaking, a fruit...

The recipe comes from The Guardian newspaper on an article featuring rhubarb recipes...
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/mar/15/rhubarb-recipes-10-best

Ingredients
Serves 4
200g rhubarb, cut into pieces
3 tbsp maple syrup, plus extra for serving (optional)
120ml fresh apple or orange juice
2 tbsp rose water, or 2 tsp rose extract
120g rolled oats
1 tsp ground cinnamon
250g Soya Greek style yoghurt
50g toasted almonds chopped

Method
  1. Put the rhubarb in a large saucepan with the maple syrup and apple or orange juice and poach gently over a low heat for about 10 minutes, until the rhubarb has just softened. Cool, then drain the cooking liquor into a jug, and add the rose water or extract to it.
  2. Mix the cooking liquor with the oats, cinnamon, yoghurt, half the almonds and half the rhubarb.
  3. Stir to combine and refrigerate overnight, allowing the oats to soak.
  4. Serve the muesli topped with the remaining poached rhubarb, almonds, more yoghurt and a drizzle of maple syrup.
I'll post a photo in the next few days when I make it. I aim to have it for breakfast with Monday or Tuesday.

You beat me to it. I was wandering down the rose water path too... its an ingredient I've been experimenting with lately (mainly in savoury) and I thought it would work well with rhubarb. Lo and behold, like everything else since the internet was invented, there are loads of recipes for putting the two together... :laugh:

You beat me to it. I was wandering down the rose water path too... its an ingredient I've been experimenting with lately (mainly in savoury) and I thought it would work well with rhubarb. Lo and behold, like everything else since the internet was invented, there are loads of recipes for putting the two together... :laugh:
There were before. All the internet has done is make searching easier.

Before shot please! No empty plate photo.
not the best in the world but...

IMG_7667.JPG

I should have used a greater depth of field but there is only a very limited time period first thing in the morning and given that we eat together (outside) I had to be very quick with the photography on this occasion because I had already wasted 5 minutes or so working on the presentation and assembling it with the individual components not actually coming together until the following day (following the recipe).
Usually I just dump my raspberries on top of the yoghurt soaked porridge oats, mix and eat....

So an appraisal. I could smell and taste the rose water and it did add an interesting addition to matters. There was little taste of the orange juice used tbh and rhubarb over cooked in the time period stated and disintegrated as you can see. That will be something to watch. The rhubarb is very red, I'm guessing that that is the type of rhubarb I purchased with did look extraordinarily red tbh (not to mention very expensive). I only used 1/3rd of the sugar stated, and didn't drizzle over any maple syrup in the photo, but on subsequent days I did add a little which lifted the dish a touch. I have to be honest though, I think we both would have preferred to have made our homemade rhubarb crumble from it and the remaining half of the rhubarb that was purchased is going to be made into a small crumble (only 250g left) probably tonight. But it was pleasant enough.

S
not the best in the world but...

View attachment 5029

The rhubarb is very red, I'm guessing that that is the type of rhubarb I purchased with did look extraordinarily red tbh (not to mention very expensive). .

So how are those sticks of rhubarb so ruby red? Mine goes pink when cooked (like yours in the rest of the dish). I've never seen rhubarb keep its colour so well. Wow!

So how are those sticks of rhubarb so ruby red?
You ought to see the ones in the fridge uncooked! I think it is just the variety tbh. I'll try to get you a picture later but imagine the deepest reddest pomegranate you have ever seen and go for the deepest reddest flesh/seeds inside and you won't be close (actually you will but...) I've never seen it that red either but that pink was about that quantity mixed in with porridge oats, orange juice and soya yoghurt, so that is very diluted!

Back
Top Bottom