Rice Cookers / Steamers

I have 4 bamboo steamers and the bonus is they look pretty. I can layer up and cook multiple items at once. I also have the metal expandable steamer with the little feet that fit inside different size pots and that works really well.

I've an instant pot thing and I tried rice in it once, I followed the instructions carefully, the rice was a mess.

Can the instant pot cook rice? yes/no?

Anyone got a proven recipe to share?

I've an instant pot thing and I tried rice in it once, I followed the instructions carefully, the rice was a mess.

I don't have an instant pot. Until you posted, I'd never heard of an instant pot. So I really cannot comment.

As far as rice cookers go, there are a few million folks in India, China, and the majority of South East Asia who use them. There isn't a recipe, just rinse the rice and put it in the pot with the stipulated quantity of water and a little salt.

I just did rice in my instant pot. I used the new steamer basket to do it, but, I did have to cover the rice in the basket with water, so it was really steamed, but boiled in the basket. I used 15 minutes at low pressure. It turned out well. The bennie here is that the rice did not need to be stirred and there was no chance of it sticking to the bottom of the pot, and for sure, 15 minutes is quick.

Rice is washed generally, filled with the appropriate amount of water for the type of rice and never stirred. For white rice like basmati or jasmine for example it generally takes 15 minutes to cook, so I'm not sure I see any advantage putting rice in a steamer basket then filling it with water, just my opinion.

Rice is washed generally, filled with the appropriate amount of water for the type of rice and never stirred. For white rice like basmati or jasmine for example it generally takes 15 minutes to cook, so I'm not sure I see any advantage putting rice in a steamer basket then filling it with water, just my opinion.

Between the time when the cooker stops cooking and proceeds to the "keep warm" stage, I add a little butter and stir up the rice to loosen it. Then replace the lid and leave it for around 10 minutes before pulling the plug. I find this particularly beneficial if I am subsequently going to fry the rice. Which I am going to do tomorrow hopefully (khaow padt khung).

Between the time when the cooker stops cooking and proceeds to the "keep warm" stage, I add a little butter and stir up the rice to loosen it. Then replace the lid and leave it for around 10 minutes before pulling the plug. I find this particularly beneficial if I am subsequently going to fry the rice. Which I am going to do tomorrow hopefully (khaow padt khung).
I'll do that as well, because butter. :thumbsup:

I tend to agree. If you really want to be lazy and use a shortcut you can buy microwave packets of rice which take a few minutes and are perfectly decent. Nevertheless, in Thailand, a country where rice is a staple, almost anyone who has a kitchen has a rice cooker (I learned this from Yorky). There may be a good reason for that which might be because many don't have gas or electric hobs or even kitchens at all. I'm simply speculating. Maybe Yorky can shed some light on this....

I don't have an instant pot. Until you posted, I'd never heard of an instant pot. So I really cannot comment.

As far as rice cookers go, there are a few million folks in India, China, and the majority of South East Asia who use them. There isn't a recipe, just rinse the rice and put it in the pot with the stipulated quantity of water and a little salt.

Ah, the InstantPot, some say it can cure cancer. People sing the praises of them, but they are fundamentally just a combination pressure cooker and crock pot. I don't use either of those things.

Like you (and millions of Asians), I have a regular rice cooker. I put my rice and water in it, press a button, and it does the rest.

CD

If I'm not mistaking, the Instant Pot is a pressure cooker, right? I have not cooked rice in a pressure cooker, Electric or stovetop model. I have several. Supposedly, no time is saved by doing it in a pressure cooker. I just do it in the rice cooker, since that is what it's designed for. And the rice cooker automatically stops the cooking after the cooking cycle ends, giving you perfectly cooked rice every time. :whistling:

I feel like a simpleton here 🤣🤣🤣
I just cook mine in a pan of water on the stove top - water to rice / 2-1 ratio. Bring water to a boil, throw in a tablespoon butter and the rice, cover, reduce the heat to simmer and let it cook for 15 minutes. Usually stir one time during the cook cycle and sometimes i throw in some more water based on “look” . So far so good…no issues with doneness and although the pot has a residue on it, it’s no big deal to clean.

I feel like a simpleton here 🤣🤣🤣
I just cook mine in a pan of water on the stove top - water to rice / 2-1 ratio. Bring water to a boil, throw in a tablespoon butter and the rice, cover, reduce the heat to simmer and let it cook for 15 minutes. Usually stir one time during the cook cycle and sometimes i throw in some more water based on “look” . So far so good…no issues with doneness and although the pot has a residue on it, it’s no big deal to clean.

That's how I learned to cook rice, and still pan cook small portions in a small saucepan. The rice cooker is just easier, and never seems to get it wrong.

CD

Back
Top Bottom