Rice Cookers / Steamers

If I'm not mistaking, the Instant Pot is a pressure cooker, right? I have not cooked rice in a pressure cooker, Electric or stovetop model. I have several. Supposedly, no time is saved by doing it in a pressure cooker. I just do it in the rice cooker, since that is what it's designed for. And the rice cooker automatically stops the cooking after the cooking cycle ends, giving you perfectly cooked rice every time. :whistling:

I don't have a rice cooker, but the Instant Pot serves that purpose.

If I'm not mistaking, the Instant Pot is a pressure cooker, right? I have not cooked rice in a pressure cooker, Electric or stovetop model. I have several. Supposedly, no time is saved by doing it in a pressure cooker. I just do it in the rice cooker, since that is what it's designed for. And the rice cooker automatically stops the cooking after the cooking cycle ends, giving you perfectly cooked rice every time. :whistling:

My mum used to cook rice pudding in the pressure cooker. Once she got it wrong and forgot to add the rice. The milk went everywhere. It took weeks to rid the kitchen of the smell of sour milk.

Ah, the InstantPot, some say it can cure cancer. People sing the praises of them, but they are fundamentally just a combination pressure cooker and crock pot. I don't use either of those things.

Like you (and millions of Asians), I have a regular rice cooker. I put my rice and water in it, press a button, and it does the rest.

CD

I usually add a little salt. Or go the whole hog and add these.

My mum used to cook rice pudding in the pressure cooker. Once she got it wrong and forgot to add the rice. The milk went everywhere. It took weeks to rid the kitchen of the smell of sour milk.

My dad painted the kitchen ceiling with pressure cooker soup once when I was a kid.

CD

I just did rice in my instant pot. I used the new steamer basket to do it, but, I did have to cover the rice in the basket with water, so it was really steamed, but boiled in the basket. I used 15 minutes at low pressure. It turned out well. The bennie here is that the rice did not need to be stirred and there was no chance of it sticking to the bottom of the pot, and for sure, 15 minutes is quick.
I just checked and this instant pot didn't come with the rice basket you mention, sad face.

I just did rice in my instant pot. I used the new steamer basket to do it, but, I did have to cover the rice in the basket with water, so it was really steamed, but boiled in the basket. I used 15 minutes at low pressure. It turned out well. The bennie here is that the rice did not need to be stirred and there was no chance of it sticking to the bottom of the pot, and for sure, 15 minutes is quick.

That's about how long it takes to cook in the rice cooker. Like I said, no time saved by doing it in the pressure cooker. 😱

Last edited:
I tend to agree. If you really want to be lazy and use a shortcut you can buy microwave packets of rice which take a few minutes and are perfectly decent. Nevertheless, in Thailand, a country where rice is a staple, almost anyone who has a kitchen has a rice cooker (I learned this from Yorky). There may be a good reason for that which might be because many don't have gas or electric hobs or even kitchens at all. I'm simply speculating. Maybe Yorky can shed some light on this....

Hobs, either gas or electric, are rarely seen in the villages. Kitchens are also rare. Most food is cooked on a single gas burner (outside or under a lean-to) or charcoal. When I first came here twenty years ago, many families were still cooking rice in the "conventional" manner (in a big pot) but since most dwellings have now had electric installed hence the rice cookers.

A typical gas burner, current cost around US$12.00.

Back
Top Bottom