Recipe Rice, Rice Baby (Vanilla Rice Pudding)

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
4:55 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Rice Pudding.jpg

I forgot that I never posted this recipe, though I have mentioned it on occasion. It's not pretty, but it certainly tastes good. I was motivated to make some myself years ago after being disappointed consistently by the flavorless glop that's served in so many restaurants. The vanilla is only one of the things that separates this recipe from those. I suspect butter and egg are two other things. While the restaurant variety has cinnamon sprinkled decoratively on top, all that means is that the top layer gets the best part of the serving. Thus, I stir it in so every bite has the right amount of cinnamon.

In point of fact, I've always added vanilla to my rice pudding recipes, and I never thought to call it Vanilla Rice Pudding. But, I do like a good pun, so I couldn't resist.

Ingredients

1 cup white rice
2 cups warm water
1 2⁄3 cups half-and-half
1⁄2 cup skim milk
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg, beaten
1 1⁄4 cups golden raisins
2 tablespoons light butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (pure)

Directions
  1. Bring two cups of water to a boil. Stir in rice and reduce heat to Low. Simmer for 20 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally until the water is absorbed.
  2. Stir half-and-half, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt into the cooked rice. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking and clumping. Continue for about 15 minutes, until thick and creamy.
  3. Stir in egg, skim milk, and raisins and cook for another 5 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla extract.

I make a similar thing here, you muricans will rubbish this but I make rice pudding ( wife's and daughter faves) often but never posted. Enamel dish,milk knob of butter 2 eggs 1 tablespoon sugar and half cup of rice, bake in oven, forgot, sprinkle of nutmeg and bake. I do a similar one with macaroni. One of my faves from childhood.

Russ

I make a similar thing here, you muricans will rubbish this but I make rice pudding ( wife's and daughter faves) often but never posted. Enamel dish,milk knob of butter 2 eggs 1 tablespoon sugar and half cup of rice, bake in oven, forgot, sprinkle of nutmeg and bake. I do a similar one with macaroni. One of my faves from childhood.

Russ

Yes - that's how mu Mum used to make it. The slightly burnt skin is the treat.

View attachment 40751

I forgot that I never posted this recipe, though I have mentioned it on occasion. It's not pretty, but it certainly tastes good. I was motivated to make some myself years ago after being disappointed consistently by the flavorless glop that's served in so many restaurants. The vanilla is only one of the things that separates this recipe from those. I suspect butter and egg are two other things. While the restaurant variety has cinnamon sprinkled decoratively on top, all that means is that the top layer gets the best part of the serving. Thus, I stir it in so every bite has the right amount of cinnamon.

In point of fact, I've always added vanilla to my rice pudding recipes, and I never thought to call it Vanilla Rice Pudding. But, I do like a good pun, so I couldn't resist.

Ingredients

1 cup white rice
2 cups warm water
1 2⁄3 cups half-and-half
1⁄2 cup skim milk
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg, beaten
1 1⁄4 cups golden raisins
2 tablespoons light butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (pure)

Directions
  1. Bring two cups of water to a boil. Stir in rice and reduce heat to Low. Simmer for 20 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally until the water is absorbed.
  2. Stir half-and-half, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt into the cooked rice. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking and clumping. Continue for about 15 minutes, until thick and creamy.
  3. Stir in egg, skim milk, and raisins and cook for another 5 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla extract.

Such an interesting recipe, I made something similar ages ago by using bulghur instead of rice.
Do you think it would be ok to boil rice directly in the milk rather than in boiling water? Just curious.

Such an interesting recipe, I made something similar ages ago by using bulghur instead of rice.
Do you think it would be ok to boil rice directly in the milk rather than in boiling water? Just curious.
When I make rice pudding and I'm not using leftover rice, I cook the rice right in the milk.

An important note for rice pudding fans: when using leftover rice, make sure it's not rice that you've cooked in chicken stock. You'll make that mistake just the once, I assure you. 🤢

I will have to give that a try, since it does make sense. I've found that if I find a recipe that does what I want it to do, I don't go back and make changes to it. But, this is an opportunity to make a change to that habit.

Absolutely!
Actually until this thread I'd never heard of pre-cooking the rice in water for rice pudding - I've only ever cooked it in the milk.

Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned yet the type of rice to use? I always use pudding (short grain) rice - it holds its shape but isn't too starchy so the rice pudding ends up nice and creamy.

I don't mean to speak for everyone on this side of the pond, but I believe that typically:

"white rice" = long grain white rice

At least, this is how the bags are labeled in supermarkets. I will have to give this a try with short grain (and with milk earlier in the process).

I don't mean to speak for everyone on this side of the pond, but I believe that typically:

"white rice" = long grain white rice

At least, this is how the bags are labeled in supermarkets. I will have to give this a try with short grain (and with milk earlier in the process).
The recipe I normally use specifically calls for long grain white rice.

The recipe I normally use specifically calls for long grain white rice.

Traditionally, rice pudding in the UK is made with short grain rice which is starchy and therefore produces a creamy rice pudding. Risotto rice makes a good rice pud for that reason.

Traditionally, rice pudding in the UK is made with short grain rice which is starchy and therefore produces a creamy rice pudding. Risotto rice makes a good rice pud for that reason.
I think here it's probably because long grain rice is seen as an all-purpose rice, and until the last couple of decades, was the only rice available, at least where I live.

Back
Top Bottom