RIP Queen Elizabeth II

My wife said that the gerbils on BBC News were wearing black ties before the official announcement was made.
If that is correct, then it´s time to privatise the BBC :D :D

...as an anti royalist I'm not shedding any tears. The worst thing for me personally is that TV will now be awash with boring tribute shows and news coverage for the next few weeks, so my regular TV programmes are cancelled.

(its OK, I don't expect to get any 'likes' for this post). :)

We all have our own feelings about it, so that’s ok. I think I’ll give you a like just so you have one, and in celebration of free thinking everywhere. :)

There’s likely a good chance the state funeral will happen right as we arrive in London, so we may have to contend with a whole lot of things being shut down, idk. I expect it’ll be somber either way.

There’s likely a good chance the state funeral will happen right as we arrive in London, so we may have to contend with a whole lot of things being shut down, idk. I expect it’ll be somber either way.

Yeah - I was thinking of that. Unfortunate timing for you really. Have/had you got any 'royal' linked London visits on your itinerary?

...as an anti royalist I'm not shedding any tears. The worst thing for me personally is that TV will now be awash with boring tribute shows and news coverage for the next few weeks, so my regular TV programmes are cancelled.

I'm against the monarchy too, but interested in all historic occasions and this is one. So while I won't shed tears either, I will be watching the ceremonies.

You´re perfectly entitled to your opinion and that should be respected at all times. That´s what democracy is all about.
However - I totally share your thoughts on TV. TV stations here tend to whinge on and on and on and on about anything that´s news, until they completely grind the topic into the dust.

We all have our own feelings about it, so that’s ok. I think I’ll give you a like just so you have one, and in celebration of free thinking everywhere. :)

It will be sombre, but also definitely memorable. I hope it will be a beautiful experience to be part of this momentous occasion.

Yeah - I was thinking of that. Unfortunate timing for you really. Have/had you got any 'royal' linked London visits on your itinerary?
Just one - Ceremony of the Keys at The Tower. We’ve done it once before, though.

MrsT will also, if possible, manage to get into The Tower during the day. I’ll bet we’ve been in there 30 times if we’ve been in once. She’s was saying the other day, “I can’t believe we’re going to London and not going to The Tower.”

“We’re going to The Tower. Ceremony of the Keys.”
“I mean during the day. It’s changed since last time.”
“C’mon…it hasn’t changed since about 1080!”
“IT’S CHANGED!!!”

🤷‍♂️

TV stations here tend to whinge on and on and on and on about anything that´s news, until they completely grind the topic into the dust.
Same here. It’s that blasted 24-hour news cycle that cable TV blessed us with decades ago. All the time in the world, must fill it with something, even if it’s just a solitary camera pointed at the front gate of someone’s house.

Used to be, 30 minutes of news a day was all you got, which was plenty for me.

I would like to share this iconic photo in commemoration.

Just looked it up and, officially, the Queen´s funeral should be 9 days after her death, which gives us Saturday, 17th.

And I´ll add my five pence worth. This was a world leader like no other, who worked 15 or more hours every single day of her life for her country. No other country leader has ever done that for 71 years.
She was also not political, which is a huge blessing, given that politicians across the world are only interested in one thing - POWER.
She knew and understood her people like no-one, perhaps, will ever do, because she made a point of visiting them, seeing them and speaking to them as people, rather than political pawns who might vote for her.
She successfully made a transition from the "colonialist" Commonwealth to providing independence to many countries.
She was, above all, a supreme diplomat, an accomplished communicator and a highly respected icon in our country.
And she also produced billions of ££££s for this country,simply by being there. A President or Prime Minister wouldn´t have come even close.

Back
Top Bottom