RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Usually would put this in the “Whatcha Neckin’?” topic, but breaking our weekday booze ban to raise an appropriate tipple to Her Majesty:

Fare thee well!

Elizabeth didn't ask to be born, she did not ask to be in the family that she is nor did she ask to become queen. It was forced upon her and, regardless of people's opinions she stepped up and did her absolute best. Yes her life was privileged but through birth not choice. She has been a great ambassador for our country.

That is a STUNNING photograph of Queen Elizabeth, just stunning!
The whole series is quite remarkable. Hard to choose a favorite, really. Just google “Annie Leibovitz Queen Elizabeth” and prepare to be amazed.

I seem to recall on some BBC program about The Queen that she had a pretty strict diet for herself, maybe that's why she lived to 96?
She also had afternoon tea pretty much every day, by most accounts. That has to count for something.

...as an anti royalist I'm not shedding any tears. The worst thing for me personally is that TV will now be awash with boring tribute shows and news coverage for the next few weeks, so my regular TV programmes are cancelled.

(its OK, I don't expect to get any 'likes' for this post). :)
Worth remembering that the last President of the USA has been found with state secrets in his bedroom, the President of Italy is a serial rapist protected by a corrupt judiciary, and let's not start on the President of Russia. A benign monarchy has kept us from President Boris whose disregard for the law and parliament is obvious.

With a new King the institution of state clearly needs modernising and being made more cost effective, but the alternative is no more pallitable.

Elizabeth didn't ask to be born, she did not ask to be in the family that she is nor did she ask to become queen. It was forced upon her and, regardless of people's opinions she stepped up and did her absolute best. Yes her life was privileged but through birth not choice. She has been a great ambassador for our country.
I think that’s what always impressed me, her profound sense of duty.

...as an anti royalist I'm not shedding any tears. The worst thing for me personally is that TV will now be awash with boring tribute shows and news coverage for the next few weeks, so my regular TV programmes are cancelled.

(its OK, I don't expect to get any 'likes' for this post). :)
Bah, humbug.

Russ

And I´ll add my five pence worth. This was a world leader like no other, who worked 15 or more hours every single day of her life for her country. No other country leader has ever done that for 71 years.
She was also not political, which is a huge blessing, given that politicians across the world are only interested in one thing - POWER.
She knew and understood her people like no-one, perhaps, will ever do, because she made a point of visiting them, seeing them and speaking to them as people, rather than political pawns who might vote for her.
She successfully made a transition from the "colonialist" Commonwealth to providing independence to many countries.
She was, above all, a supreme diplomat, an accomplished communicator and a highly respected icon in our country.
And she also produced billions of ££££s for this country,simply by being there. A President or Prime Minister wouldn´t have come even close.
Well said.

Russ

Our alarm goes off at 7 am. Wife checks her phone first thing so it goes.
" oh no, queenie has died"
Me:oh that's a shame. Poor queenie.
We are on first names here.
Nearly 3 hrs later and its sinking in. Shes been a huge draw card for tourists, myself and daughtrt and grandson recently as well.
Thoughts are with her family.
From down under members of the commonwealth.
:( :( :(
Russ

Back
Top Bottom