Recipe Roasted garlic flan with mushroom sauce

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:40 PM
I saw this made on a "cheffy" TV show as an appetizer, but it could easily be a light meal with the addition of a salad. The pasta in the dish is there as a slight thickening agent, i.e. the starch released from the pasta as it cooks. I already had a recipe for a Leek flan, so I reworked it some.

The flans also make a great stand alone side to steak, roast beef and lamb chops.

20240210_121045.jpg

4 servings

ROASTED GARLIC FLAN

Ingredients

2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature - plus extra for custard cups
1/2 cup roasted garlic
2 large garlic cloves, smashed
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup whole milk
3 large eggs
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano cheese - optional
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper

Directions

Place cream, milk and smashed garlic cloves into a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until small bubbles appear around the edge. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter four 1-cup custard cups. Set aside.

Place 2 Tbsp butter and roasted garlic in bowl of a small food processor or a small bowl with a hand mixer and process until smooth.

Beat eggs in a small bowl with garlic mixture, cheese if using, salt, and pepper. Blend until well combined. Remove the garlic clove and any detached pieces from the cooled cream mixture, then slowly add to the egg mixture, combining well, but try not to add much air, i.e. make bubbles.

Somewhere along the way, put a large saucepan of water on to boil. Turn burner off and allow water to stop boiling before proceeding with next step.

Divide mixture evenly between the 4 cups. Place cups in a baking pan large enough to hold all of them. Place baking pan in oven with the rack partially out. Fill a measuring cup with some of the hot water and pour into baking pan. Repeat until water is about half-way up the cups. Gently and carefully push oven rack into place, trying to avoid water splashing into your custard cups. Bake until custards are set in the middle, about 40 minutes. Carefully remove from water and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges to loosen the custards, turn out into shallow bowels and divide mushroom sauce among them evenly. Serve immediately.

TIP: If you have canning jar holders/grippers, they work great to take the custard cups out of the hot water. Alternatively, use a wide spatula to slide under the bottom and tongs to steady the custard cups.

MUSHROOM SAUCE

Have everything ready to go, then start the sauce about 10 minutes before flans are ready to come out of oven.

Ingredients

8 oz potabello or crimini mushrooms, rinsed, drained, stems trimmed, very thickly sliced - can use a mix of wild mushrooms if desired
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 large green onions/scallions, trimmed, rinsed, drained, sliced in 2 inch lengths
2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3/4 cup dry sherry
3/4 cup mushroom stock
1/4 cup broken pieces of dried pasta, none larger than 1/2 inch
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Heat the butter over medium heat and add the mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the sherry and allow to reduce for 3-4 minutes. Add the mushroom stock and pasta and cook at a slow simmer for 5 minutes, then add green onions and continue cooking until pasta is done, about 2-3 minutes more. Taste broth and adjust seasoning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom