Recipe Roasted tomato and garlic purée (for pasta sauce base)

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:37 PM
This is an easy recipe to make as a base for pasta sauce and more. Roasting the tomatoes really amplifies the flavor and makes the sauce even more delicious. I ended up using this purée in a tarragon cream alla vodka sauce that I served over pasta with sundried-tomato seasoned Chilean seabass, which turned out fabulous!

Ingredients:
Approximately 7 medium-sized ripe, fresh Roma (plum) tomatoes, quartered
Olive oil (I used a roasted garlic and sundried tomato infused olive oil) Recipe - Sundried tomato and roasted garlic infused olive oil
Sea salt (approximately 1/8 tsp or more)
2 garlic bulbs for roasted garlic (or desired amount according to preferences)

Instructions:
Place quartered tomatoes on a foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle with ground sea salt. Roast in a 375F oven for 30-45 minutes.

1641505604015.png

Roasting the garlic:
Remove most of the papery skin from the garlic cloves. Cut the two cloves in half (because of the shape of the cloves the garlic pieces will not be uniform in size). Place the cloves cut side down in a small baking dish. Pour a generous amount of olive oil (about 2 ounces) over the cloves and cover the tightly with foil. Bake in the oven at about 250F for approximately 40 minutes. Allow to cool thoroughly before removing the remaining skin (the soft garlic cloves should slip out quite easily).

1641506650582.png
1641506664945.png

Place roasted tomatoes and roasted garlic into a food processor or blender and whir until smooth. Transfer sauce into a pan on the stove and add desired seasonings, herbs, and other ingredients to finish the sauce.

1641505789148.png

Last edited:
It's pretty darned good. I wish we had more access to fresh tomatoes right now, but it's freezing outside and nothing is growing! Next summer I know what to do with all the extra fresh tomatoes we will have. I'm thinking it will make a nice pizza sauce, too.

It's pretty darned good. I wish we had more access to fresh tomatoes right now, but it's freezing outside and nothing is growing! Next summer I know what to do with all the extra fresh tomatoes we will have. I'm thinking it will make a nice pizza sauce, too.
That's what I'm thinking as well. We grow real sweet tomatoes here so I will post the pics, along with fresh oregano and basil. We normally get about 10kgs but last year was poor. I just read we have a bug this year making them still expensive, around $6 kg still.

Russ

I just thought of the sauce I make for my parmas as well. Prepackaged sauce.

Russ

I just thought of the sauce I make for my parmas as well. Prepackaged sauce.

Russ
You can start roasting tomatoes and make your own sauces to freeze for winter.

Back
Top Bottom