Recipe Roasted Vegetable Mayo

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:36 PM
2020-05-05 18.20.01.jpg

This can be used as a spread for sandwiches, like the porchetta, caramelized onions, gruyere sliders as above, or as a dip for crudites. Anybody recognize Morning Glory 's buns?

Recipe adapted from You searched for vegetable mayonnaise - Andrew Zimmern

INGREDIENTS

2 cups mayonnaise
1 medium sweet onion
1 medium red bell pepper
1 head of garlic, cut in half crosswise
2 medium roma/plum tomatoes
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 cup minced cilantro
EVOO
Salt and pepper

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cut the onion in half lengthwise, then into quarter slices, leaving the ends intact, then peel the outer skin off.

Place onion, pepper, garlic head halves, and tomatoes on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp EVOO. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss with your hands so everything is coated.

Roast the vegetables until they have a slight char, around 30 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and then peel the skin from the pepper and tomatoes. Cut off the ends of the onion. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise and gently squeeze out the tomato insides.

Place the onion, tomatoes, pepper, lime juice, salt and pepper into a food processor or blender. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the head halves. Process thoroughly until smooth, add the mayonnaise and process until combined.

Last edited:
This can be used as a spread for sandwiches, like the porchetta, caramelized onions, gruyere studies as above, or as a dip for crudites.
Yay! First entry! :woot:

Anybody recognize @Morning Glory 's buns?
You can’t begin to imagine the amount of self-control I’m employing right now! 🤐

You can’t begin to imagine the amount of self-control I’m employing right now! 🤐

I know. I want to go to the Asian market and buy a big pork belly to make porchetta just to have leftovers for the sandwiches above and for the caramelized leek, porchetta, pizza we make with a couple of eggs cracked on the hot pizza, yolks broke and tilted around to run on the pizza.

I like it. I'm thinking about entering a home made mayo as well. Back when we had a lentil challenge I made up a replacement for refried beans out of lentils. I'm thinking about making up a spicy aioli for the same purpose. I'll include the basic ingredients of mayo - eggs, oil and lemon juice - but I will add roasted garlic to make it an aioli and then add some heat in the form of hot sauce and mustard. Never tried it. Purely experimental. Fingers crossed that it works out. If it does I'll enter it.

It feels good to get back to cooking. Don't get me wrong I've cooked every meal since my wife returned from the rehab facility. I just haven't cooked what I wanted to cook. Mostly I have been making sandwiches since she only has the use of her left hand and can't handle flatware very well. I guess tacos are a sort of sandwich.

Mostly I have been making sandwiches since she only has the use of her left hand and can't handle flatware very well. I guess tacos are a sort of sandwich.

Here in Texas, tacos are definitely the same as a sandwich. :okay:

CD

The tacos were fine but the Aioli missed the mark. It was too subtly flavored and overwhelmed by the rest of the taco. I dipped a few tortilla chips in it as a test and it was better that way. It might have been better to use the garlic raw rather than roasted.

By the way my wife didn't eat her tacos like a sandwich. Instead she took them apart and used everything as finger food as is her preferred method now that she is a one handed woman. From now on I will have to put taco ingredients between slices of bread.

The tacos were fine but the Aioli missed the mark. It was too subtly flavored and overwhelmed by the rest of the taco. I dipped a few tortilla chips in it as a test and it was better that way. It might have been better to use the garlic raw rather than roasted.

By the way my wife didn't eat her tacos like a sandwich. Instead she took them apart and used everything as finger food as is her preferred method now that she is a one handed woman. From now on I will have to put taco ingredients between slices of bread.

Or make small burritos with flour tortillas.

Back
Top Bottom