The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
1:47 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
E5970E3D-DC79-44BD-833B-20870F3DBC28.jpeg

I love when I have a vision of a recipe I want to build, and I explore my way to something new. I learned a lot with this one, mainly that raw coconut won’t be puréed with what I have available in my kitchen. After stubbornly trying to smooth it out, I finally decided to strain it.

Ingredients

1 coconut
1-2 limes, juiced
4 ounces of rum
1 tablespoon sugar

Tools

food processor
blender
Chef’s hacksaw
Chef’s pliers

Directons

1. Pierce one of the "eyes" in the coconut.

img_0944-jpg.jpg

2. Enlarge the hole, and drain coconut water. Retain coconut water for later use.

img_0946-jpg.jpg

3. If you are a lunatic who must make a drinking vessel from the coconut, use the Chef’s Hacksaw (cleaned thoroughly) to score the shell, then cut it in half. Use Chef’s pliers if desired to remove stray bits.

E91E7F1F-9A2D-4ABC-A992-EC927633C305.jpeg

4. Using a meat mallet or clean hammer, break open the coconut shell. Separate the flesh of the coconut from the inside of the shell with a butter knife.

img_0948-jpg.jpg

5. Use a potato peeler to remove the skin from the coconut flesh.
img_0949-jpg.jpg

6. Cut coconut flesh into chunks. place chunks and coconut water in food processor. Pulse, then allow food processor to run for several minutes. Add a cup of water, and run for several minutes, hours, or days.
0A118991-DCEA-49F9-8BD7-201947A295A9.jpeg

7. Fool yourself into thinking that “chunky style” is a new trend in drinks.

8. When you’re over those delusions, strain mixture through a sieve, using a spoon to push as much liquid through as possible.

9. Blend coconut milk with lime juice, sugar, and rum.

Last edited:
The Late Night Gourmet , try the grating blade on your FP first next time (if it has one). Alternatively, if your grocery carries Latin foods in the freezer section, check and see if they have fresh frozen coconut. I found that after struggling with a coconut to make a fresh coconut cake. You can make coconut water from the flesh, as that's called for in the Cake recipe too. I know you probably wanted the shell for a prop, but they can be washed and kept for a long time as well.

A drill and band saw work nice as well. :D

Seriously though, nice looking cocktail.

Wouldn't look nice if I used dark rum eh? I drink coruba. :)

Russ
I did use a dark rum. There’s more of the light-colored components than the dark parts.
I don't remember ever seeing a spiced rum that doesn't have some color to it.
Truth be told, what you see is the drink before I strained it. After the second “sip” (which I had to chew), I strained it. By then, I was so exhausted that I didn’t feel like restaging the shot.

Back
Top Bottom