Recipe Russian Potato Bread

Local time
8:17 AM
I don't know how authentically Russian this is (I got the recipe from a potato cook book), but its a nice moist, firm-textured loaf that cuts very easily. It has a lovely subtle caraway flavour.

225g potatoes
6g instant yeast
350g strong white flour
115g strong wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp crushed caraway seeds
7g salt
25g diced butter

• First boil your potatoes until tender, drain them and reserve 150ml of the cooking water, mash the potatoes until smooth. Leave to cool and then combine the mashed potato with 150ml of the cooking water (top up with tap water if you don't have enough) to make a potato slurry
  • Mix together the flours, caraway and salt and then rub in the butter until you can't feel any more lumps of butter
  • Stir in the yeast and then gradually add the potato slurry
  • Work the mixture to bring it together then turn it out and knead for 8-10 minutes until you have a smooth and elastic dough
    • At this first I thought there wasn't enough liquid in the recipe, but once you start kneading it should all come together fine
  • Put the dough back in the bowl, cover, and leave to prove for an hour or two until it's doubled in size
  • Turn out on to a lightly floured table, knock back and shape into an oval loaf, place it on a baking sheet, sprinkle with a little wholemeal flour, cover and leave to prove for another hour or so until doubled in size
  • Heat your oven to 200c, slash the top with a few diagonal cuts to make a criss-cross effect and bake for 30-35 minute

8GCWCEV.jpg

Looks good. Potato bread is very popular here, but it's usually seen as a standard sandwich loaf.

Back
Top Bottom