Recipe Rye and orange biscuits

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:54 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I had resolved to only post up recipes I would eat in the near future, but these rye and orange cookies/biscuits took my fancy. It won't be difficult to adapt them to bring dairy free or vegan if needed. Using an tasteless oil instead of the butter will make them dairy free quite easily and using aquafaba (bean water whisked up to resemble egg white, yes it really does work) instead of the eggs should work reasonably well, though it may make the cookie/biscuit rather fragile.

I found the recipe in the Guardian newspaper, here.

Rye and orange cookies

Here the freshness of orange provides an excellent foil to the robustness of the rye flakes. This super-speedy dough needs no resting or kneading.

Makes about 35

Ingredients
50g butter
125g rye flakes
250g caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp plain flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp orange zest, finely grated
A pinch of salt

Method.
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
  2. Melt the butter and mix it with the rye flakes in a bowl. Stir in the sugar and eggs.
  3. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, orange zest and salt. Stir this into the rye mix.
  4. Using two teaspoons drop small mounds of the mixture on to a baking tray lined with baking parchment, spacing them out well. (You may have to bake these in batches.)
  5. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, then leave to cool a little before using a palette knife to transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
  6. When cold, store in an airtight tin for up to three weeks.

Trine Hahnemann, Scandinavian Baking (Quadrille)

I would give these a try of I had some rye flakes! I can imagine the slightly sour rye flavour would work well with tangy orange.

If I wasn't just starting a diet (like on Monday) I would try then with the dark rye flour I have at home that I use for sourdough making. The flour would probably need more liquid that the flakes but I don't have the flakes either, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom