Recipe Saffron Parsnips with Spiced Mushrooms

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:19 PM
I've been experimenting with parsnips and attempting to create something a little different with an Autumnal feel. This is a dish packed with Autumn flavours and colours; sweet earthy parsnips meet musky, spicy mushrooms with a bittersweet note of saffron. But have I got the balance of seasonings and spices right? I'd be interested in feedback if any of you try this. Serves 4 as a side dish or a starter.

IMGP1341.jpg

Ingredients

400g parsnips
3 fat cloves of garlic, crushed and finely chopped
50 ml olive oil
Large pinch of saffron
5 tbsp milk
300g assorted mushrooms
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 tsp hot chilli powder
2 tbsp vegetable oil
white sesame seeds to sprinkle

Method

• Peel and chop the parsnips and cook in boiling salted water until tender.
  • Whilst the parsnips are cooking, dry fry coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds until the mustard seeds pop. Grind the seeds to a powder.
  • Heat the milk in a small container and mix with the saffron. I used the microwave.
  • Mash the drained parsnips with a fork or potato ricer adding the olive oil, 2 chopped cloves of garlic and saffron infused milk. Add salt to taste. Keep the mixture warm.
  • Add the vegetable oil to a frying pan with the remaining chopped garlic and heat gently. Add the mushrooms and fry gently for a few minutes. Add the toasted ground seeds and chilli powder together with a few tablespoons of water.
  • Place a lid over the pan and cook gently until the mushrooms are tender.
  • To serve, arrange the mushrooms and the pan juice over the parsnips and sprinkle with white sesame seeds.
IMGP1331.jpg

Back
Top Bottom