Salads

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
1:26 AM
Salads come in many forms, leafy salads, fruit salads, slaws, cabbage salads, potato salads, egg salads, seafood salads, chicken salads and vegetable plates are the more common examples.

Leafy salads can be mixed or vegetable plates. Mixed leafy salads can be layered or tossed.

full.jpg

Vegetable Plate

full.jpg

Vegetable Plate as a Side

full.jpg

Simple Layered Leafy Salad using Radicchio

full.jpg

Layered Leafy Salad using Romaine Lettuce

full.jpg

Layered Salad with Spinach

full.jpg

Tossed Salad using Romaine Lettuce

full.jpg

Tossed Salad using Mixed Lettuce Greens and a special Pistachio Dressing

full.jpg

Breaded Chicken Salad using Spinach

full.jpg

Breaded Chicken Salad using Radicchio and Snow Peas

full.jpg

Layered Salad using Mixed Lettuce Greens as a Side

full.jpg

Layered Salad using Radicchio as a Side

Leafy salad greens include the lettuces, spinach, radicchio, endive, kale, cabbage, beet greens, mustard greens and collard greens. Some of these tend to be purplish and not green, radicchio is an excellent example.

Lettuces may be leaf or ball types.

- Leaf Lettuces of different varieties
--- Romaine
--- green oakleaf
--- red oakleaf
--- watercress
--- sorel
--- escarole
--- mesclun mix
--- red leaf
--- arugula
--- frisee
--- mizuna
--- chard
--- mache
--- celtuce
--- oil seed

- ball lettuces
--- iceberg (aka. crisphead)
--- butterhead (aka. Boston, bibb or round)
--- summercrisp (aka. Batavian crisp or French Crisp)

Sorry, no photos available. Google to see images.

Last edited:
A salad to me is iceberg lettuce with boiled egg slices tomatoes spring onions and radishes all mixed together. Grated cheese or carrots on top. Usually one a week in summer.

Russ

If other members post examples in addition to those I posted, you should perhaps, consider trying some variety in your salads. Salads, even for leafy green salads, can be incredibly diverse.

If other members post examples in addition to those I posted, you should perhaps, consider trying some variety in your salads. Salads, even for leafy green salads, can be incredibly diverse.

We grow all that stuff in our garden, plus a throw other "stuff" in. It must be good because there's always nothing left.

Russ

We have a salad of some sort most nights - tonight was romaine, cabbage, sliced cuke, green onion, and sliced radish, dressed with tomato vinaigrette.

Most nights they're simple like that, but I'll occasionally make one that has a little of everything in it.

Having listed in an earlier post the various lettuce and green leaf elements of a leafy salad, it ought to be clearly pointed out that the additional ingredients that may go into a green leaf salad are very diverse and varied.

full.jpg

Here are some of my favorite salad ingredients ...

Beans:
-- beans of any type, especially garbanzos,, blacks and limas
-- tofu

Dairy:
-- Cheeses (cubed, shredded and/or grated)
-- Eggs (hard or soft boiled)

Fruits:
-- Lemon or Orange Peel
-- Olives
-- Tomatoes

Grains:
-- Croutons

Meats:
-- Anchovies (with or without capers)
-- Bacon
-- Chicken
-- Clams
-- Crab
-- Ham or Canadian bacon
-- Salmon
-- Scallops
-- Shrimps (baby)
-- Tuna
-- Turkey

Seeds:
-- Caraway
-- Mustard (black or yellow)
-- Sesame
-- Sunflower

Spices and Herbs:
-- Basil
-- Black pepper
-- Cilantro
-- Oregano
-- Parsley
-- Red Pepper

Sprouts:
-- Alfalfa
-- Bean

Vegetables:
-- Artichoke hearts
-- Carrots
-- Celery
-- Cucumber
-- Lemon grass
-- Mixed vegetbles
-- Mushrooms
-- Onions
-- Peas
-- Peppers (Bells and Anaheims)
-- Radishes
-- Scallions
-- Snow peas and snap peas
-- String beans
-- Zucchini

This list is not conclusive, but serves to demonstrate how variable salad ingredients can be.

Cool thread, salad is importan for me and I can eat fresh salads every day, I'm thankful for having that. My favorite salad is strangely just fresh vegetables that I can eat raw with dressing, when I'm lazy I don't even do the dressing. What I also like about salads, they can be very variable, with cooked ingredients of any sort, for example potatoe salad or cous-cous salad can be made with almost everything, even with fruits.
Stay healthy

Slaws are a type of salad made witch cabbage and normally, carrots.

full.jpg

Mayonnaise is used as the salad dressing with some additional ingredients like lemon or lime juice, vinegar and honey.

Lentils and quinoa are great add ons for salads to me, as well as nuts, peanuts, herbs...even pickles...love baked red horn paprika (not sure how it is called in the Usa, it can be as big as half a human palm or a whole hand, it is always sweet (not hot)):
1617656524487.png

it is charred until black, peeled, and is delicious with drizzle of oil and garlic, can be pickled or just as sweet as is...olives...cheese...eggs...<
I am a big salad lover, so I will probably eat almost any salad, provided it is not too spicy, has no insects in it, no fish heads:shy:...for the time being vegetarian.

.for the time being vegetarian.

I noted elsewhere that you eat fish? This means you are not vegetarian - the definition of vegetarian is someone who doesn't consume animals (so no meat or fish). The term 'pescatarian' can be used to describe someone who doesn't eat meat but does eat fish.
.love baked red horn paprika (not sure how it is called in the Usa, it can be as big as half a human palm or a whole hand, it is always sweet (not hot)):

In the UK they are called Romano peppers or sweet pointed red peppers. Not sure about in the US.

I noted elsewhere that you eat fish? This means you are not vegetarian - the definition of vegetarian is someone who doesn't consume animals (so no meat or fish). The term 'pescatarian' can be used to describe someone who doesn't eat meat but does eat fish.

In the UK they are called Romano peppers or sweet pointed red peppers. Not sure about in the US.

In the US, Romano peppers are smaller thin green peppers that have a good bite to them.

The red peppers in the photo look like Pirira chili peppers or Nagas. They also appear similar to Fresno peppers or Aleppos which are from the Mediterranean regions.

But in truth, paprika peppers look like the peppers in the photo too, and that's what Timenspace said they were - and we should have no reason to doubt that. They are paprika peppers.

There are a lot of different types of peppers and many of them look like some other type.

. They are paprika peppers.
Wow, then it is fairly simple. Should I add Red Paprika peppers? They do come as green too, I believe.

I browsed through the pepper varieties, but got confused, Pirira and other mexican sorts...was unsure if they are hot or not.

Red Paprika Peppers are always sweet, as I mentioned earlier.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom