The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
1:30 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
7755d92c-b655-440e-8097-3876bbaee18a-jpeg.jpg

I wished I had better crackers to use for this, but ultimately it doesn't matter. If you love salmon, then it doesn't matter if you serve this with fancy crackers, saltines, or just a tablespoon to help get it down your throat faster. Salmon Mousse is traditionally served as a mound on a plate. The gelatine (or gelatin, if you can't find gelatine) thickens the mixture to provide stability needed to help the mousse keep its shape. I am the only one who's going to eat this, though, so I found it easier to keep in the ramekin.

Ingredients

2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin(e)
3 ounces cool water
8 ounces smoked salmon
1 1/2 cup sour cream
1 lime, juiced
dill weed, dry, for serving

Directions

1. Place water in a small pot and sprinkle gelatin(e) over the top. Raise heat to medium-low and gently stir until the gelatin(e) dissolves. Remove from heat.

2. Place salmon, sour cream, and lime juice in a food processor. Pulse until combined. With processor running, gradually stream gelatin(e) mixture in until fully combined and creamy.

3. Scoop mousse into ramekins. Chill for at least 2 hours. Sprinkle with dill weed, and serve with crackers.

View attachment 81017

I wished I had better crackers to use for this, but ultimately it doesn't matter. If you love salmon, then it doesn't matter if you serve this with fancy crackers, saltines, or just a tablespoon to help get it down your throat faster. Salmon Mousse is traditionally served as a mound on a plate. The gelatine (or gelatin, if you can't find gelatine) thickens the mixture to provide stability needed to help the mousse keep its shape. I am the only one who's going to eat this, though, so I found it easier to keep in the ramekin.

Ingredients

2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin(e)
3 ounces cool water
8 ounces smoked salmon
1 1/2 cup sour cream
1 lime, juiced
dill weed, dry, for serving

Directions

1. Place water in a small pot and sprinkle gelatin(e) over the top. Raise heat to medium-low and gently stir until the gelatin(e) dissolves. Remove from heat.

2. Place salmon, sour cream, and lime juice in a food processor. Pulse until combined. With processor running, gradually stream gelatin(e) mixture in until fully combined and creamy.

View attachment 80976
3. Scoop mousse into ramekins. Chill for at least 2 hours. Sprinkle with dill weed, and serve with crackers.

View attachment 80975

I've heard of it, but I never made it. :unsure:

As opposed as I am to seafood, my mom did use the cheapest of cheap tinned salmon to make salmon cakes when I was a kid, which I’d occasionally eat.

Once, in 2012 while on vacation in Alaska, I ate some salmon dip. I didn’t like it, but I didn’t hate it.

All that is to say…I’d gladly try this, and I can see how someone who is really into salmon would enjoy this. Well done!

Back
Top Bottom