Herbie

Veteran
Local time
1:57 PM
We love squid. I must post my recipe for Portuguese squid stew, which is slow cooked until tender. This recipe is quick-cooked so it is also tender.

squid2.jpeg

5 squid. Prepared and tube cut into rings and tentacle part cut in two is large.
2 bowls of potato or corn flour/starch (the photo is corn starch but I think potato is better). About a cup in each but you may need more depending how much gets stuck to your fingers..
2 teaspoons schezuan pepper
5 spring onions cut into 1xm pieces at a slant
1 red chilli cut into thin slices
2 garlic cloves thinly slices
Maldon sea-salt to taste.
2 egg whites lightly whisked
A wok (or deep wide pan) about 3rm of sunflower oil

Lightly toast and then blitz the peppercorns and add to one of the cornflower bowls.
Heat the oil
Dip one piece of squid in plain starch/flour then egg, then flour with the pepper, then egg again and the flour with pepper again.
When oil is starting to smoke add the one piece of squid and check it cooks in 2 mins. Adjust heat.
Cook in small batches removing from the oil with a chinese strainer (this is a brilliant tool - or use a slotted spoon).
Drain on kitchen paper.
Cook the tentacles separately from the rings as they take different time depending on size.
Once all cooked and draining add half the add chilli, garlic and onions to the oil and half the squid. Cook for 45 seconds. Take out and drain and add other half. Drain.
Sprinkle with sea salt to taste.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom