Salted Egg Yolks

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
9:17 PM
Anyone tried doing this? There are a fair few variations on a theme of how to cure them ranging from a few hours to 7 days in salt.

Salted egg yolks recipe | BBC Good Food
or
How To Make Salted Eggs (Brine Solution or Salt-Cured Egg Yolk)

It's easier to watch some YouTube tutorials on how to do it, there are many different suggestions.
Here's my effort this morning.

IMG_1433.jpeg

IMG_1438.jpeg

Covered them all completely in salt and they went into to fridge at 8.30am.
Going to give two of them 8 hours (the midway suggestion in the second link) and one 24 hrs to see how they fair.
The two egg whites in each container (yes I broke a yolk) is exactly what is needed to make a decent gluten free loaf so that's a bonus, they are in the freezer waiting for the next bread bake!

Will try one after 8 hours as is, oven dry one and leave the other for 24hours.

Apparently grated this is the finest umami steak accompaniment there is. We'll see!

I've seen videos. They are often grated onto steaks as you would grate parm onto pasta, as you mentioned, to add umami. I haven't tried it, but probably will eventually.

CD

Dug out the first egg yolk after 8 1/2 hours. It was solid around the outside but still runnyish in the middle so popped it in the oven on the dehydrate setting for three hours as specified in the ‘Good Food’ recipe. Left the other two in the salt and will check tomorrow.
IMG_1454.jpeg

Rinsed the salt off in a bowl of water. Doesn’t look far from a normal egg yolk in this pic but it is solid (apart from the centre), you can see the dent the shape of the salt made in it’s side.

Loved this youtube vid. My mind boggles over who thought up these sort of methods and who was brave enough to volunteer to eat the first one. Think I’d probably pass!
It’s just short of 12 mins so some fast forwarding might be needed.

View: https://youtu.be/iqANut1Zg7k?si=dWH8CrVomxltQW9I

Had a read looks good. The methods I’ve been reading must be the shortcut version then as the one drying out in the oven will be finished in one day rather than two weeks.

If it is finished that is, it’s still in the oven so who knows 😆

The methods I have seen are the longer cure. Surrounded by salt, you don't have to worry about bacteria, so two weeks is not a problem.

I had forgotten that medtran49 did a recipe thread on this. I remembered it as soon as Tasty pointed it out.

CD

The methods I have seen are the longer cure. Surrounded by salt, you don't have to worry about bacteria, so two weeks is not a problem.

I had forgotten that medtran49 did a recipe thread on this. I remembered it as soon as Tasty pointed it out.

CD
I’ve watched long cure’s and short, the longer the cure the saltier the end result.

I’m not concerned about bacteria, there’s enough salt there to kill anything 😆

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom