Recipe Salty Lemonade or Limeade

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
2:04 PM
I love the salty lemonade that I get at one of the local Vietnamese restaurants. I wanted to be able to make it at home, so I looked around until I found an easy recipe. It can also be made as Soda Salty Lemonade, but that would require sparkling water, which is a different recipe. http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/8703-sweet-or-salty-limeade-or-lemonade

Mod edit: recipe added

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice, pulp and rinds reserved (from about a dozen limes or lemons)
  • 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
PREPARATION
  1. In a small saucepan combine sugar with 1 cup water, and place over medium heat; cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
  2. In another pan bring 6 cups water to a boil; remove from heat, and add rinds and pulp. Cover, let steep for 10 minutes and then strain.
  3. Combine strained liquid in a pitcher with lime or lemon juice and salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Fruit mixture and sugar syrup can be refrigerated separately for a couple of days, until needed.)
  4. Add syrup to taste, and serve over ice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never heard of or tasted salty lemonade. I don't know if it is something that I would particularly like though. I have been making and drinking lemonade with lime or lemon, together with sugar, for years now. I suppose I would have to taste the salty one first to say whether or not I liked it. The one made with lemon or lime would have more health benefits though. So many things contain salt already, that I would not want to add this to the list. Cutting back on salt is what I am aiming at these days.

I love the salty lemonade that I get at one of the local Vietnamese restaurants. I wanted to be able to make it at home, so I looked around until I found an easy recipe. It can also be made as Soda Salty Lemonade, but that would require sparkling water, which is a different recipe. http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/8703-sweet-or-salty-limeade-or-lemonade
Having looked up Vietnamese salty lemonade, I think the authentic recipe is made from salted preserved lemons. This is GOOD news because I make them myself and have a jar in my cupboard (they are easy to make) but you can also buy preserved lemons in jars. All you do is take a wedge of the preserved lemon and top up with soda or Sprite. Then muddle the lemon around a bit. I'll be trying this and will report back. Could be good with a tot of gin...

I'm in the same "never heard of or tasted" boat, but I'm a sucker for lemonade so I might have to give it a try. I very rarely have salt so I imagine the taste might be quite overpowering though, might try it with a little less first time around.

I have never heard of such a thing before but I am willing to try it. I have a bag of limes in my freeze that I think I will squeeze and do up some salty limeade
when I get home from work today! It sounds awesome to me!

Having looked up Vietnamese salty lemonade, I think the authentic recipe is made from salted preserved lemons. This is GOOD news because I make them myself and have a jar in my cupboard (they are easy to make) but you can also buy preserved lemons in jars. All you do is take a wedge of the preserved lemon and top up with soda or Sprite. Then muddle the lemon around a bit. I'll be trying this and will report back. Could be good with a tot of gin...

Yes, I tried to make the lemons from scratch before, and they ended up getting all moldy. Apparently the jars didn't seal, so I'm reluctant to waste the time, energy, and materials again, since all of those are very limited right now. That would definitely be the idea way to make either version, soda or non-fizzy. I've had both, and love both, although I don't drink as much of the soda salty lemonade as the plain salty lemonade. I'm sure you'll have no trouble making it, and am looking forward to a progress report. It might be good with a bit of vodka in it :).

I've never heard of salty lemonade. It sounds interestsing and I definitely will try it. My kids love making homemade lemonade in the summer time. They also love salty foods like chips and pretzels, I'm sure they'll enjoy this drink as well. Between the sugars and the salts it's sounds like a sports drink as well.

This would be something nice to make if you're going to be cooking Vietnamese food, to make it even more authentic. I love Vietnamese and Thai food, and this is my special treat that I get when a certain friend comes to town, because we both love the food and salty lemonade. I also like to make ethnic dishes with and for children, because it helps introduce them to different cultures, so this could be a nice family project.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice, pulp and rinds reserved (from about a dozen limes or lemons)
PREPARATION
  1. In a small saucepan combine sugar with 1 cup water, and place over medium heat; cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
  2. In another pan bring 6 cups water to a boil; remove from heat, and add rinds and pulp. Cover, let steep for 10 minutes and then strain.
  3. Combine strained liquid in a pitcher with lime or lemon juice and salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Fruit mixture and sugar syrup can be refrigerated separately for a couple of days, until needed.)

I have never heard of salty lemonade but it does sound good. I love salted caramel, and I bet I would like this as well. It seems like it would give a really good taste to lemonade and limeade. As we know, salt brings out the flavors in cooking, so I bet it would work the same with this this drink. Thanks, Diane Lane!

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup sugar
PREPARATION

@kgord Yes, and it could be that the drink brings out the flavors in the Vietnamese dieshes, as well. I really haven't seen too many others drinking them when I've eaten at the restaurants, so I think they could still be somewhat undiscovered.

We make a lemon squash and use citric acid,the salty lemonade reminds me of a product we called screech a orange or lemon hydration powder used by the forces

I made this yesterday and om gosh I loved it! I drank it all! It was the best limeade that I have ever tasted. The salt was a nice added flavor. I will definitely make more of this. Next time I will try it with lemons.

I made this yesterday and om gosh I loved it! I drank it all! It was the best limeade that I have ever tasted. The salt was a nice added flavor. I will definitely make more of this. Next time I will try it with lemons.

@L_B I've never tried it with all limes, just all lemons or mostly lemons, but I do love limeade, so someday I will have to try that, if I can ever get the lemons/limes to preserve correctly.

@Berties That could be one reason this recipe was developed. Perhaps it started out as a treatment for dehydration, and someone embellished upon it. I do find it seems to really quench my thirst in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom