Recipe Sambal Udang

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
10:42 PM
I cheated a little using pre-made tomato soup but it is really ideal for this dish.

Ingredients

• 10 shallots, peeled and chopped
  • 4 fresh cayenne peppers, chopped
  • 4 Thai red chili peppers, chopped
  • 5 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 lemongrass, finely sliced
  • 2 - 3 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
  • 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 300 g condensed tomato soup
  • 300 g prawns, peeled and deveined
sambal-peas_zps0he2rpgd.jpg

Served with grilled snow peas and tomatoes.​

Method

Place the shallots, chilies, garlic, lemongrass, chili powder, turmeric, lemon juice and shrimp paste into a blender and blend to a smooth paste. Add a little olive oil to assist blending if required.

Heat the olive oil and stir fry the chili mixture for about 15 minutes, adding a little hot water if required. Add the canned soup and a further ½ can of water. Mix well, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.

Stir fry the prawns in a little olive oil in a small fry pan for about 2 minutes. Then add to the sambal, mix well, season with a little freshly ground black pepper and serve with fresh French bread or naan, roti, etc..

sambal%20ing_zpsernypunf.jpg

[Personally I now omit the shrimp paste]

I use that soup as well, but for my butter chicken, it really is a beautiful taste!!

Back in the UK we used to have Campbell's tomato soup (undiluted) as one of the dips for beef fondue (the cubed beef was cooked in oil in the fondue pan).

For buttered chicken I use blended tinned tomatoes cooked with cinnamon and chilli powder. Buttered chicken will be on my menu for next week.

Most of the Thai curry pastes I make call for shrimp paste. The paste is wrapped in a foil packet and cooked until fragrant, cooled and added to the the curry paste. I think it adds an umami taste to the curry paste.

Back
Top Bottom