Sandwiches around the world

Butter or margarine (margarine even less in general) in sandwiches in Italy, is not our thing. If you fancy some butter in your sandwich you have to ask for it. I sometimes spread a bit of butter in my sandwich when I’m home, but only when I have finished mayo or mustard, and even these are rarely in a sandwich, unless you are eating an hamburger. Spreadable creamy cheese is very used in sandwiches though, like stracchino/crescenza or goat cheese or squaquerone

I am more of an Italian by heart, I knew it :wink:

I had no idea that there was such a thing as a sandwich without butter, a butter substitute or olive oil. The exception here would be sandwiches with hot fillings, such as bacon or sausage, which would not necessarily be buttered.

I had no idea that there was such a thing as a sandwich without butter, a butter substitute or olive oil. The exception here would be sandwiches with hot fillings, such as bacon or sausage, which would not necessarily be buttered.

I agree. "Sandwiches" such as burgers or hot dogs would not have any butter/marge in my house. However, a fish and chip sarnie, particularly in a dustbin lid, would have butter. Then it would melt and run down the front of your vest as your eating it. Heaven!

Grilled sausage and pepper sandwiches are one of my favorites. No butter, but vinegar and olive oil. maybe some gardenaire and/or peppadews! I could eat peppadews right out of the jar!

I do use butter in relation to burgers. I might use it to toast the buns, I might also use it to fry and baste the burger while it's cooking (Culver's, Home Of The Butterburger-style), I might also slap a pat on the finished burger to melt while it's resting, and on those rare occasions when I just have to have a burger and all I have in the house is lean/extra lean beef, I'll add chunks of butter to the ground beef before I patty it out.

My "hamburger sandwich" story: we were on a long drive, and the wife was nodding off (as usual) when I pointed out we'd need to stop for lunch at some point: "What do you feel like?"

"I don't care...just some kind of sandwich. A sandwich sounds good."

An hour or so later, we reached an exit with a few restaurants, and I pulled into a burger joint, then woke her up.

"Burgers?! I said I wanted a sandwich!"

"Um...a burger is a sandwich."

"No it's not! It's a...a...burger! It's its own thing! It's not a sandwich!"

"Two pieces of bread...a filling...I think that's what's called a sandwich."

"No! It's! Not!"

So we went inside and stepped up to the counter to order, and I kid you not, the girl taking the order said...<drumroll>...

"Hi! Thanks for choosing BurgerTown! What kind of hamburger sandwich can I get you today?"

:laugh:

They are not sandwiches in the UK sense of the word.

I know it's not possible now to obtain a diffinative answer (as he's been dead over 300 years) but it is accepted that the 4th Earl of Sandwich Christened the sandwich during a card game when he instructed his butler to put his snack in between two pieces (not slices) of bread so that he could consume it uninterrupted during the game.

What would you call this?

I don't know if it's common anywhere else, but in the US, "Is it or isn't it a sandwich" is a common argu...er, discussion.

Even Stephen Colbert, a popular late-night chat show host here frequently tangles with guests over whether a hot dog in a hot dog bun is a sandwich or not.

Even Stephen Colbert, a popular late-night chat show host here frequently tangles with guests over whether a hot dog in a hot dog bun is a sandwich or not.

I have no idea who he is but personally I consider any food product which is served between two pieces of bread - a sandwich. They may have alternative specific names depending upon your location (e.g. burger, hot dog, B.L.T., Subway) but they are still sandwiches. Only my opinion.

I have no idea who he is but personally I consider any food product which is served between two pieces of bread - a sandwich. They may have alternative specific names depending upon your location (e.g. burger, hot dog, B.L.T., Subway) but they are still sandwiches. Only my opinion.
That's exactly how I feel. Bread + Filling = Sandwich.

Then there are open-faced sandwiches, which begs the question...is pizza a sandwich? :wacky:

Try to ask this in Italy :laugh:
I think I'll just call everything a sandwich from now, as long as there's bread involved.

And, I must add, growing up, spaghetti sandwiches were my favorite way of consuming spaghetti. Soft white bread, a big smear of butter, and a couple of big forkfuls of spaghetti.

When I make spaghetti now, I always leave a little in the pan and go back and finish my meal with a folded-over spaghetti sandwich.

I think I'll just call everything a sandwich from now, as long as there's bread involved.

And, I must add, growing up, spaghetti sandwiches were my favorite way of consuming spaghetti. Soft white bread, a big smear of butter, and a couple of big forkfuls of spaghetti.

When I make spaghetti now, I always leave a little in the pan and go back and finish my meal with a folded-over spaghetti sandwich.

Well, I think we should try to eat a little bit of everything in life.
I just made coffee. I'm going to get some bread

Then there are open-faced sandwiches......

By its descriptive name, they are not sandwiches. And they are originally Danish (I think).

Take rugby or football or even American football. Two guys (or women) "sandwiching" an opponent - couldn't work if there was only one.

Back
Top Bottom