Sandwiches around the world

By its descriptive name, they are not sandwiches. And they are originally Danish (I think).

Take rugby or football or even American football. Two guys (or women) "sandwiching" an opponent - couldn't work if there was only one.
I found this on Wiki:

"A direct precursor to the English sandwich may be found in the Netherlands of the 17th century, where the naturalist John Rayobserved that in the taverns beef hung from the rafters "which they cut into thin slices and eat with bread and butter laying the slices upon the butter."

Now we know who to blame for the butter and all! :)

Then it says this (hold on to your hats, Brits!):

"In Great Britain, open sandwiches are rare outside of Scandinavian delicatessens. Instead, there is "on toast" (e.g., cheese on toast). However, this is considered a sandwich."

Emphasis mine. :)

Obviously, this whole sandwich thing goes deeper than we suspected. No doubt there are New World Order types involved, probably in cahoots with the ones hiding the extraterrestrials from us, to keep us all focused on the whole "what is a sandwich, anyway?" controversy, which keeps us from asking the real questions, like where Elvis is, and whether a colony of Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) are living on Mars controlling our climate!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I agree. "Sandwiches" such as burgers or hot dogs would not have any butter/marge in my house. However, a fish and chip sarnie, particularly in a dustbin lid, would have butter. Then it would melt and run down the front of your vest as your eating it. Heaven!
Yorky, would you mind telling me what a sarnie is and what is a dustbin lid? I like my fish sandwiches with Tartar Sauce if that is what you are talking about. lol

Yorky, would you mind telling me what a sarnie is and what is a dustbin lid? I like my fish sandwiches with Tartar Sauce if that is what you are talking about. lol
Normally, I wouldn't answer, but I'd like to hazard a guess at "dustbin lid" and see if I'm right. :)

Anyway, "sarnie" is just another word for sandwich, like we sometimes use "sammie."

A dustbin lid...I'm going to say a hinged roll, like a hot dog bun, a roll that's got the top and bottom connected.

A dustbin lid...I'm going to say a hinged roll, like a hot dog bun, a roll that's got the top and bottom connected.

Nope, it's a bread "cake" about the size of a dustbin lid (exaggerated).

I used to make fish and chip sarnies with them in the 60s. They were buttered and would hold 2 fish and a portion of chips. And the portions were bigger in the 60s.

Last edited:
Nope, it's bread "cake" about the size of a dustbin lid (exaggerated).

View attachment 32777

I used to make fish and chip sarnies with them in the 60s. They were buttered and would hold 2 fish and a portion of chips. And the portions were bigger in the 60s.

I couldn't eat that big bun with 2 fish!! And chips!!
Mind you I had a big appetite 40 years ago. I know my son could eat that.

Russ

I couldn't eat that big bun with 2 fish!! And chips!!
Mind you I had a big appetite 40 years ago. I know my son could eat that.

Russ

I couldn't eat it now! With or without the fish and chips. This is my current limit......

I had no idea that there was such a thing as a sandwich without butter, a butter substitute or olive oil. The exception here would be sandwiches with hot fillings, such as bacon or sausage, which would not necessarily be buttered.

I've been to the UK four times, for weeks at a time. I loved it. The food was definitely different -- and has gotten better over the years. Back in the 70s, it wasn't as diverse as it is now.

Soooo, c'mon down to Texas, sometime, and I'll introduce you to a whole new world of food (for better and worse). :wink: The State Fair of Texas is happening right now. Ever wonder how may things can be deep fried? :laugh:

CD

OK! Now we need to know if there is usually butter/marge in sandwiches in Australia, New Zealand, Italy & the Netherlands. Not sure if there are sandwiches in Thailand. So - SatNavSaysStraightOn, rascal, MypinchofItaly, Windigo, Yorky - please tell us about the sandwiches in your country and whether they have butter/marge in them.
I honestly can't really answer this from a general population point of view.

I know that when I order toast and jam in a 'normal' café, I always have to ask for no butter or marg (butter is always mentioned first), but no-one really bats an eye over it whereas in the UK I was always asked if I really wanted the toast 'dry'.

In the vegan cafes, they just use vegan butter (for toast and jam) unless you specifically ask not to have it.
But for sandwiches, it is different. Something like hummus or smashed avo is used, or anything of that nature that is vegan (vegan pesto is another example I can think of immediately).

I've never, ever risked a pre-made sandwich now that I'm allergic to dairy. I haven't even looked at them!

OK! Now we need to know if there is usually butter/marge in sandwiches in Australia, New Zealand, Italy & the Netherlands. Not sure if there are sandwiches in Thailand. So - SatNavSaysStraightOn, rascal, MypinchofItaly, Windigo, Yorky - please tell us about the sandwiches in your country and whether they have butter/marge in them.

I told you about the Netherlands on the first page. Butter and/or marge are a requirement on sandwiches here. Mayo is unusual and only used at american places.

I told you about the Netherlands on the first page. Butter and/or marge are a requirement on sandwiches here. Mayo is unusual and only used at american places.

Hmmmmm, do you put butter on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Are those even a thing there?

CD

Hmmmmm, do you put butter on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Are those even a thing there?

CD

Peanut butter and jelly is not a thing here, much. And most people would put butter on that. They put it in peanut butter sandwiches too. As I said in my first post here, I think that's awful.

Back
Top Bottom