Sandwiches around the world

Peanut butter and jelly is not a thing here, much. And most people would put butter on that. They put it in peanut butter sandwiches too. As I said in my first post here, I think that's awful.

I live in the US South, so I use a lot of butter for cooking. The thought of using it on a peanut butter sandwich makes me a little queasy -- unless you spread the butter on the outside of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and grill it like a grilled cheese sandwich. That sounds rather heart-stopping good. I may try that -- do NOT tell my doctor.

CD

By the way, have you had a Vegemite sandwich? (in a fried out kombi) I've heard some people love it, but others find it nasty
What's a fried out kombi?

I've had both vegemite and marmite and prefer marmite, hubby prefers vegemite, but I can happily eat both. Both go on instead of marg or butter though.

Oh, we can't forget the famous Cuban Sandwich. I make them a few times a year, when I do a Cuban roast pork.

CubanSammy001.jpg

And, from one of the best cooking movies EVER!!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNwbdMwI0MU

CD

Sorry, you lost me at "Nutella." I know it is beloved by millions, but it just doesn't work for me.

By the way, have you had a Vegemite sandwich? (in a fried out kombi) I've heard some people love it, but others find it nasty.

I can't stand Nutella either. Vegemite I have quite often and alternate it with Marmite (which is the original UK version). Vegemite is a favourite of rascal. It is really quite different to Marmite although they are both fermented yeast spreads. Vegemite is much milder and sweeter tasting.

Peanut butter and Marmite or Vegemite together is the only way I can eat peanut butter - its delicious!

morning glory SatNavSaysStraightOn - I'm only repeating what Wikipedia said, regarding "on toast!" :)

As to butter on a PBJ - we absolutely do that at my house. MrsTasty, being the odd one, also loved peanut butter, mayo, and lettuce sandwiches.

A staple growing up in my house was bologna, ketchup, and potato chips/crisps on white bread.

I live in the US South, so I use a lot of butter for cooking. The thought of using it on a peanut butter sandwich makes me a little queasy -- unless you spread the butter on the outside of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and grill it like a grilled cheese sandwich. That sounds rather heart-stopping good. I may try that -- do NOT tell my doctor.

CD

Yes I get queasy from it too, the smell alone is awful. Especially margarine. Since I had a kid sitting next to me in class eating peanut butter and marg sandwiches every day (and vomiting after) I have never eaten it again. It's a really bad combo.

We know. :okay: Just goes to show how wiki is not always right.
I can't wait until I'm back in the UK next, so I can order a "cheese on toast sandwich." Maybe for breakfast, I'll have a "beans on toast sandwich, please." :laugh:

Peanut butter and butter - I also frequently eat crackers smeared with peanut butter and butter.

Basically, butter equals better in my house. Kind of like bacon. Hmmm...butter on bacon...now there's an idea...🤔

Back
Top Bottom