Sandwiches around the world

I can't wait until I'm back in the UK next, so I can order a "cheese on toast sandwich."
In this household, you may find that a) that exists and b) you'll get something slightly different to what you're expecting!

Here, as in this family, rather than it's location, you'd end up with a layer of toast, butter, melted cheese till it's just starting to brown, another layer of toast with only 1 side toasted and the initiated side would also be buttered and placed face down on the bubbling cheese. A toasted cheese sandwich or cheese on toast sandwich, instead of cheese on toast. First time hubby served me that I was a touch confused to say the least but I did come to like it over the years. (He's from the Oldham side of Manchester.

But your prompt had given me an idea for a new thread (in the morning when I'm officially up that is! )

Butter on sandwiches hereabouts has only been on grilled cheese. Okay, when I was a kid and wanted peanut butter sandwiches every day at school (before I ruined that through over-exposure) those sandies would be peanut butter, or peanut butter and jelly, or peanut butter and butter.
Otherwise... there'd never be butter on sandwiches. Didn't even occur to us to do that.

I love pbj sammies and also on toast. Both with buttered bread, quite a lot really. But that's another thread. NOW this is next level with home made jam/jelly. With fruit from our own crops. My go sammy is pbj and a glass of milk. I must do this soon. :)

Russ

Sorry, you lost me at "Nutella." I know it is beloved by millions, but it just doesn't work for me.

By the way, have you had a Vegemite sandwich? (in a fried out kombi) I've heard some people love it, but others find it nasty.

CD

Have you tried it Craig? Vegemite on toast with a thin layer it cheese under the broiler. Yum , or a cheese and Vegemite sammich with potaroe crisps in it. Or in meat gravy. We use it a lot here.

Russ

Butter on the outside of a sandwich that then gets placed in a hot pan? Yes, please.

And....I can see butter having the same role that mayo has on sandwiches (the fatty, creamy quality). I think it all comes down to training. We on this side of the pond (of both ponds!) didn't generally get butter on the inside of the bread in a sandwich, because we didn't grow up with it that way. If things in the late 1700s had gone differently, this wouldn't even be a topic. :)

Butter on the outside of a sandwich that then gets placed in a hot pan? Yes, please.

And....I can see butter having the same role that mayo has on sandwiches (the fatty, creamy quality). I think it all comes down to training. We on this side of the pond (of both ponds!) didn't generally get butter on the inside of the bread in a sandwich, because we didn't grow up with it that way. If things in the late 1700s had gone differently, this wouldn't even be a topic. :)

We call that a toasted sammich , fried with butter on outside, yummy. Hmm, I'm hungry,lol.

Russ

If things in the late 1700s had gone differently, this wouldn't even be a topic. :)

I think something happened sooner than that. My grandmom, according to my mother, always buttered (inside) her sandwiches, and someone else from the US said the same.

I'm wondering if the rise of convenience foods (though buttering a couple of slices of bread isn't that inconvenient) played a part, or the interest in "healthy" eating, or maybe some underhanded lobbying from the mayo consortium? Who knows, but I'm starting to think it existed much more commonly here within just a couple of generations.

Have you tried it Craig? Vegemite on toast with a thin layer it cheese under the broiler. Yum , or a cheese and Vegemite sammich with potaroe crisps in it. Or in meat gravy. We use it a lot here.

Russ

Me? Or Craig? I have never tried one. I can't say I have ever seen Vegemite anywhere, here. I'd probably have to go to one of the "foodie" grocery stores where everything costs too much. They might have it, or maybe Marmite.

CD

Me? Or Craig? I have never tried one. I can't say I have ever seen Vegemite anywhere, here. I'd probably have to go to one of the "foodie" grocery stores where everything costs too much. They might have it, or maybe Marmite.

CD

Sorry I get you and Craig mixed up. I just gave myself an uppercut!!

Russ

Lunch is on its way!

Back
Top Bottom