Sandwiches around the world

You mean in them? What else would they have?
Yeah, in them. It's not common here to use butter on sandwiches (though it is in my house).

After maybe five British-made sandwiches, I finally deconstructed one to see what the unexpected creamy/greasy texture was, and found a layer of butter on each piece of bread.

After that, I started pulling all my sandwiches apart. Butter...check. Butter...check. Everything had butter on it.

I even had a discussion with a coworker who had a British wife, and we were both laughing over the sandwiches, why they were so much better: "It's the butter! They always have butter on them! Have you ever had a sandwich with butter on it before you moved here? Me neither! Butter!"

Many years later, I mentioned it to my mom, while I was making a sandwich, and I said, "Take a bite of that and tell me what you think."

Without missing a beat, "It has butter on it. Your grandmom used to always butter her sandwiches."

"What?!?! Why didn't you butter our sandwiches when we were kids?!"

She shrugged her shoulders and said, "Six kids. No time."
:laugh:

MG, we put mayonnaise on most of our sandwiches. We put butter on toast, buns, rolls, etc.

On hoagies (subs) we use olive oil, some people have sandwiches with mustard on them.

So - you mean that most sandwiches in the States are plain bread with a filling and no butter or marge?

We are off topic - maybe a new sandwich thread?
Yes, like if I were to get a ham and cheese sandwich from a sandwich shop, I'd expect to be asked if I wanted mustard and/or mayo, but there wouldn't be butter there, and if I said, "Smear a little butter on that for me," they'd look at me like I had three heads. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a discussion thread or do you want sandwich recipes?

And yes, we spread the mayo, mustard, olive oil or what ever on both slices of bread or whatever and then start piling on the other stuff.

We have ice cream sandwiches which have neither butter nor marge. Just a hot dog style roll (sweet) containing soft ice cream. They're very popular (but not with me).

The 7-11s sell the sandwiches which generally are housed in those hard plastic triangular shaped boxes. I believe that they contain some kind of margarine spread.

Personally, my home made sandwiches often don't have butter or spread.

We have ice cream sandwiches too. They are generally between some kind of cookies, like chocolate ones, or blonde cookies with M and M's in them.

Here having margarine is the norm by now (because gov 'health' recommendations) and butter is only used as a holiday or treat spread for bread with most people.
The marg or butter is usually combined with other bread spreads, even to the point of layering it under peanut butter for most of my fellow countrymen (ugh).
I personally dislike spreads or butter on my bread in most cases since childhood, and have a particular hatred for margarine. Haven't eaten that since I was 7 years old, when I was sitting next to a boy in class that always vomited up his lunch that smelled mainly of margarine.
I use butter rarely, when I feel like it and usually then it's all I top my bread with. Just toast with salted butter and tea is a remains of my time in the UK that I still love.

I'm told I make the best club sammiches. 3 slices of white bread, all buttered, no marge in my house.first layer is ham and mustard or chicken and plum sauce. Then thinly sliced tomato, s and p. Then second slice has Mayo, I make my own. So that's two slices used. Butter top then thin Mayo,and lettuce , then third slice is mashed egg with curry powder and a bit of mayo mixed then topped to finish it. Edges cut off. Cut either triangles of fingers.
We also have ice cream sandwhiches , two wafers with ice cream in it. Grandkids love these.

Russ

Butter or margarine (margarine even less in general) in sandwiches in Italy, is not an our thing. If you fancy for some butter in your sandwich you have to ask for it. I sometimes spread a bit of butter in my sandwich when I’m home, but only when I have finished mayo or mustard and even these are rarely in a sandwich, unless you are eating an hamburger. Spreadable creamy cheese is very used in sandwiches though, like stracchino/crescenza or goat cheese or squaquerone

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom