Sandwiches around the world

This is one of my fave sandwiches

Bread (called 'michetta' or 'rosetta') with mortadella... 🤤

Sandwiches in my country are generally pretty dull. Most people eat a daily stack of about 6 for lunch at work ( we have no hot meal for lunch culture) and it's usually just plain bread with margarine ( ugh) , cheese or sliced deli meat and not even a lettuce leaf. More ' exotic ' toppings include peanut butter or sandwich spread.

More elaborate sandwiches are considered luxury fare and sold at restaurants or take aways specializing in them but they are considered a treat and not every day fare.

I've personally always disliked this because I like more elaborate sandwiches, but that makes me an exception to the rule. I prefer to use French bread for my lunch and more elaborate toppings like paté and French cheeses. With onion chutney or other garnishes.

Sandwiches in my country are generally pretty dull. Most people eat a daily stack of about 6 for lunch at work ( we have no hot meal for lunch culture) and it's usually just plain bread with margarine ( ugh) , cheese or sliced deli meat and not even a lettuce leaf. More ' exotic ' toppings include peanut butter or sandwich spread.

More elaborate sandwiches are considered luxury fare and sold at restaurants or take aways specializing in them but they are considered a treat and not every day fare.

I've personally always disliked this because I like more elaborate sandwiches, but that makes me an exception to the rule. I prefer to use French bread for my lunch and more elaborate toppings like paté and French cheeses. With onion chutney or other garnishes.

Oh my, those do sound dull. I like simple sandwiches, but not boring. And margarine... yes, ugh.

A good french baguette, sliced, with some good prosciutto or jamon, some good cheese, and perhaps a French Dijon or German stone-ground mustard is simple, but tasty. I have had that for lunch many times. Simple, but not dull.

CD

Over here, the common pronuciation of bologna is "baloney." In certain pockets of the country, fried "baloney" sandwiches are very popular.

Everyone here over 50 knows this advertising song word for word...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0A47NkRI3U

CD
Yep, I'm at the epicenter of fried baloney sandwiches, and we definitely say "baloney." Every diner has it on the menu, and even fancier places will frequently offer "a sandwich of sautéed mortadella, served on an authentic Italian bread loaf , accompanied by gourmet whole-grain mustard."

That's when you hear a lot of the locals say, "What's mor...morta...mortadella?" and the answer is always, "That's fancy fried baloney." :laugh:

Yep, I'm at the epicenter of fried baloney sandwiches, and we definitely say "baloney." Every diner has it on the menu, and even fancier places will frequently offer "a sandwich of sautéed mortadella, served on an authentic Italian bread loaf , accompanied by gourmet whole-grain mustard."

That's when you hear a lot of the locals say, "What's mor...morta...mortadella?" and the answer is always, "That's fancy fried baloney." :laugh:

I like mustard, but not in a panino con la mortadella...just taste the flavor of mortadella and that’s enough. But maybe mustard could be ok for a baloney sandwich :laugh:

I like mustard, but not in a panino con la mortadella...just taste the flavor of mortadella and that’s enough. But maybe mustard could be ok for a baloney sandwich :laugh:

You'd really have to live here and be raised in the local culture to get why that's a little funny.

Fried bologna sandwiches are something of a religion here, and you'll fall into one of two groups: several thin slices of lunch meat fried crisp, or one thick slice charred but still soft in the middle. But the one thing everyone agrees upon...a fried bologna sandwich is dressed with mustard. Plain American yellow mustard. Nothing else. White sandwich bread, fried meat, yellow mustard. Period. End of. Stop.

Of course, you can find places that try to do things like use whole-grain bread, and add tomatoes or cheese or something, but any old-timer or true local knows, "that ain't no fried baloney sandwich!"

So the idea of mortadella and "authentic Italian white bread," and "gourmet mustard," it just shows that, even when trying to be fancy, we just can't help ourselves. It's still got to be white bread, fried meat, and mustard, no matter how we pretty it up. :)

Back
Top Bottom