Recipe Sardine Bolognese.

Saranak

Local time
10:22 AM
Ciao a tutti.

I see this recipe on Saturday Kitchen I think last week. I feel meats may get difficult find. Link below.

Sardine bolognese

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 stick celery, finely chopped
  • 1 white onion, finely chopped
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp plain flour
  • 2 tins good-quality sardines
  • 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 tsp soy sauce
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 200ml/7fl oz red wine
  • 200ml/7fl oz passata or chopped tomatoes from a tin
  • 500ml/18fl oz chicken stock
  • 400g/14oz dried spaghetti
  • 50g/1¾oz Parmesan, finely grated
Method
  1. Heat the oil in a large pan over a low heat and gently fry the celery, onion and carrot for 10 minutes. Dust with the flour and cook for another 5 minutes.
  2. Add the sardines, garlic, bay, soy and Worcestershire sauce and stir well. Add the red wine and cook reduce until most of the liquid has gone. Add the passata or chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes, whisking vigorously.
  3. Add the chicken stock and cook to reduce until almost all the liquid has gone, whisking occasionally.
  4. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
  5. When cooked, mix the spaghetti through the sauce and serve scattered with plenty of Parmesan.

Sarana x

Last edited by a moderator:
I have all the ingredients. But I rarely follow recipes. I may well play with this one and add some spice. In fact I'd already been thinking about a sardine pasta dish.

Add the passata or chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes, whisking vigorously.

So we are talking about a sort of sardine puree? This is worrying me slightly for some reason. I didn't see the programme and there are no photos attached to the recipe on the website. I have 'Saturday Kitchen Live' on 'catch up' and was going to watch it this week. Was it last Saturday's episode?

I have all the ingredients. But I rarely follow recipes. I may well play with this one and add some spice. In fact I'd already been thinking about a sardine pasta dish.

So we are talking about a sort of sardine puree? This is worrying me slightly for some reason. I didn't see the programme and there are no photos attached to the recipe on the website. I have 'Saturday Kitchen Live' on 'catch up' and was going to watch it this week. Was it last Saturday's episode?
As I remember it is Sardine cut into pieces. Si last Saturday Bella.

Sarana x

Add the sardines, garlic, bay, soy and Worcestershire sauce and stir well. Add the red wine and cook reduce until most of the liquid has gone. Add the passata or chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes, whisking vigorously.

Well, maybe the recipe isn't written up correctly. But if you read the above, it requires adding the sardines etc. to the pan and then adding the passata and whisking vigorously. That is most certainly going to break up the soft sardines into fragments if not turn it into a mush.

I'll endeavour to watch the show tonight.

Back
Top Bottom