1/2 lb bulk pork sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 8oz package corn muffin mix
1 cup (4oz) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/3 cup milk
1 egg

Directions
Heat oil in large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Brown sausage, stirring to break up meat. Add onion and jalapeno; cook and stir 5 minutes or until softened. Remove sausage mixture to medium bowl.

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine corn muffin mix, 1/2 cup cheese, milk and egg in separate medium bowl. Pour batter into skillet. Spread sausage mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cut into wedges. Refrigerate leftovers.

Recipe courtesy of Irish Pub Cooking, Publications International, Ltd

NOTE: I used bacon grease in place of the oil, pickled jalapeno, and a mix of cheddar cheeses. You could also make the cornbread batter from scratch.

Last edited:
The cast iron skillet: one of my favorite tools in the kitchen! I don't think of it the same way I think of normal pans: there's a special something that the skillet brings. I am going to have to give something like this a try when I get a chance: it's simple, but hearty.

The cast iron skillet: one of my favorite tools in the kitchen! I don't think of it the same way I think of normal pans: there's a special something that the skillet brings. I am going to have to give something like this a try when I get a chance: it's simple, but hearty.
Same here. I love my cast iron skillets.

TastyReuben, thanks for posting. I have this one bookmarked. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom