Recipe Sausage Dip

Well I just looked at the contents of Waitrose sausage-meat and guess what?

"Pork (65%), water, FORTIFIED WHEAT FLOUR (wheat flour, calcium carbonate, iron, niacin, thiamin), salt, stabiliser diphosphates, white pepper, yeast extract, preservative sodium metabisulphite, nutmeg, ginger, raising agent ammonium carbonates, sage extract, thyme extract"

Now, I haven't ever bought this product - the sausage-meat I've bought in the past has just been pure pork, finely ground. Perhaps this is something new here? I really don't know!

Tesco's sausage-meat contains:

"Pork (72%), Water, Rusk, Seasoning, Parsley. Rusk contains: Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Raising Agent (Ammonium Bicarbonate). Seasoning contains: Salt, Dextrose, Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Emulsifiers (Disodium Diphosphate, Tetrasodium Diphosphate), Yeast Extract, Spices (White Pepper, Black Pepper), Preservative (Sodium Metabisulphite), Raising Agent (Ammonium Carbonate), Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Spice Extracts (Nutmeg Extract, Mace Extract)"

Riverford haven't got sausage meat in their lists at the moment. I think they only do it at Christmas time and the like. I get their pork chipolatas which are quite coarse. They contain pork 89%, water*, seasoning (breadcrumbs, (wheat flour, yeast*, salt*), potato starch, sea salt*, ascorbic acid E300*, white pepper, ginger, sage, sugar, nutmeg, black pepper, thyme, rosemary extract), natural sheep's casings, (* non organic). Their pork and herb sausages contain 87% pork plus, presumably, extra herbs. I would have thought that their sausage meat on its own would be similar. Their other sausages are all gluten-free.

In the UK, sausage meat is seasoned minced pork I believe. So it is more or less like the American sausage. I prefer to buy just minced pork and add my own seasoning but I have used the pre-seasoned sometimes in pate. Also at Christmas to male pork stuffing balls.

In the UK, sausage meat is seasoned minced pork I believe. So it is more or less like the American sausage. I prefer to buy just minced pork and add my own seasoning but I have used the pre-seasoned sometimes in pate. Also at Christmas to male pork stuffing balls.
Hey what are you doing with these male pork stuffing balls? This gave me a giggle.
I figure you hit the l instead of the k.
Great typo.

Looking at your photos, we are having a major English/English problem.
What you posted would be sold here as ground pork.
Now yes, either of the top two would be great for making sausage.
If it ain't got sage and other seasonings, it ain't US sausage.
Here is a recipe for the sausage I am referring too.
Note you do not have to actually form it into patties.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16359/breakfast-sausage/

No, not an English problem at all. The word 'sausage' is derived from the French 'saucisson', which itself is derived from the Latin 'salsus'. The latter means salted, although virtually every definition I can find defines the sausage as being encased in a cylindrical casing. Wikepedia states that the North American breakfast, or country sausage is most similar to English sausages (still encased in a casing). It does, however, refer to the southern states practice of eating 'sausage' formed as patties, as in the recipe quoted above. I doubt this would be recognised as a sausage elsewhere in the world (unless you happened to be eating in a Mcdonalds, so pretty much anywhere in the world).

Just to tease things up a bit more - how would you differentiate between a pork pattie (as called a 'sausage') in the above recipe, and a pork burger? Furthermore, if you took a thick sausage (in its casing), then sliced it into rounds, would it still be sausage, or would it be patties?

However, in terms of the Challenge, if it's a sausage to you then it's eligible for the contest!

Back
Top Bottom