Sausage rolls

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:54 AM
It's a kiwi thing I think but we love sausage rolls. Just sausage meat chopped onion and squirt of tomato sauce and Worcester sauce and some parsley. Wrapped in pastry and cooked. We have Friday night nibbles with two other couples every 3 or 4 weeks. Last night I had requested my sausy rolls so it was a great night with euchre played til 11 at night. I'm guessing the uk posters have these as well, not so much muricans?

Russ

I'm guessing the uk posters have these as well, not so much muricans?
We can get them here, but they're definitely a specialty item. Normally, we'll see these freshly made at Celtic/Irish festivals, and we can get frozen one at any market with a decent-sized international section.

They're great, though. I make them a few times a year.

Sausage rolls in Texas, also called sausage kolaches (after the Czech pastries), are literally sausages baked inside dough. Most donut shops have them, and usually offer regular or jalapeño sausage versions.

20101025-kolaches1.jpg

CD

Very popular here, you'll find them in any sandwich shop and most butchers. Plain pork sausage wrapped in puff pastry, delicious if a little calorific.

Very popular here, you'll find them in any sandwich shop and most butchers. Plain pork sausage wrapped in puff pastry, delicious if a little calorific.

Sounds like pasties, sort of. I love pasties. I make them with puff pastry. Next time I make some, maybe I'll stuff them with sausage.

Pasty-001.jpg

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
Just sausage meat chopped onion

In the UK sausage rolls generally contain just sausage meat with seasoning - no onion, no tomato sauce. They are thought of as snacks or picnic food - they used to be included in any 'buffet' provided for events - weddings etc. or work events, but I'm not sure they are as popular now.

Sounds like pasties, sort of. I love pasties. I make them with puff pastry. Next time I make some, maybe I'll stuff them with sausage.

View attachment 32704

CD

Pasties generally mean something slightly different here - Cornish pasties which have protected status:

under new protected status, a genuine Cornish pasty must be made in Cornwall. It must have a distinctive "D" shape, crimped on one side (never on top); the filling should be "chunky" (minced or roughly cut chunks of beef – representing no less than 12.5% of the content); add potato, swede (in Cornwall, some of us call it turnip), onion and a light seasoning, packed into a pastry case ("golden in colour, savoury, glazed with milk or egg and robust enough to retain its shape") and slowly baked.
Source: Cornish pasties are no one's patsies

Pasties generally mean something slightly different here - Cornish pasties which have protected status:

Source: Cornish pasties are no one's patsies

As I said... sort of. Pasties are a big thing in the American Midwest. Not a big Texas thing. I make them with puff pastry because I like them that way. I know they are not "authentic." A better name would be a "meat pie," I suppose. Empanadas are similar, too.

Protected status doesn't travel well. There is a British YouTube show called SortedFood that I really like. A few days ago, one of their chefs referred to Jack Daniels as "Bourbon." I've seen that before on British shows. In Britain, It seems "Bourbon" can come from pretty much anywhere. Here, it has to come from Kentucky. Jack Daniels is whiskey, since it is from Tennessee.

CD

Those look good. I like sausage. I like puff pastry. I'll have to make some -- once the weather gets cool enough to use the oven.

CD
Authentically they need to use plain pork sausage. A nice twist is to brush the inside of the pastry with English mustard before baking.

Authentically they need to use plain pork sausage. A nice twist is to brush the inside of the pastry with English mustard before baking.

I'm not sure a plain pork sausage is 'authentic' - most seem to use sausage meat. So no casing on the sausage? Some suggest skinning sausages which amounts to the same as using sausage meat in the first place. I just found a vintage (UK) recipe from the mid 1800's for sausage rolls (not pork and not puff pastry). I'll post it later.

Back
Top Bottom