Sausage Sandwiches

CraigC

Guru
Local time
9:22 AM
Although hotdogs are sausages, I'm asking about other sausages here, like Italian, German, bangers, etc. I like grilled Italian sausage with grilled bell peppers and grilled onions. I also like the version where the sausage, bell peppers and onions are cooked in a marinara sauce, which is generally what you'd get if you asked for a sausage and pepper sub at most Italian-American places. Good brats, grilled and kept in a beer bath, served on a bun with kraut and brown mustard would hit the spot along with an ice cold Pils.

So, hows about you? BTW, can bangers actually be used in a sandwich and what would be the condiments?

A sausage sandwich using bangers is a great favourite in the UK. The way I do it is to slice the sausages lengthways (they fit vey nicely into standard sized sliced bread) and spread with hot English mustard. Others might use brown sauce or tomato ketchup.

A sausage sandwich using bangers is a great favourite in the UK. The way I do it is to slice the sausages lengthways (they fit vey nicely into standard sized sliced bread) and spread with hot English mustard. Others might use brown sauce or tomato ketchup.

Brown sauce for me (Yorkshire Chop Sauce).

sausage sarnie.jpg

We had a funny discussion here a while back that got into just how to define an "Italian" sausage.

Just add fennel, and it's Italiano!
And yes, HP sauce on a good oatey white pudding on toast is a favourite of mine.

I also like the version where the sausage, bell peppers and onions are cooked in a marinara sauce
I like this, but I think I like even better just the sausage, peppers, and onions without a sauce: the grease from the sausage and the whatever the vegetables were sauteed in provides enough of a "sauce" for me.

But, the examples of our friends overseas highlighted something: the bun is also very important here. Whether it's a hoagie roll or a baguette, we normally expect that the bread will stand up to the messy ingredients without exploding.

It's not a trip down the Jersey shore to the boardwalk without an "Italian" sausage, peppers, and onions on a long, crusty roll. I like mine with a little tomato sauce, and occasionally sprinkled with grated parm and topped with melted mozzarella cheese.

Onions and ketchup :thumbsup:

I don't eat pork but for my husband I spread the bread with English mustard, sometimes add a layer of cooked onions, then roll the bread around the uncut sausage.

I haven't done that in years. I used to roll up the sausage, uncut as you say, then dip it in baked beans. I must include those in my weekend menu.

I forgot how good baked beans are with mustard and onions on a hot dog. I gave up beef for Lent, so it'll have to wait 3 more weeks.

I could kill for a steak or burger tonight as well.

Back
Top Bottom