Recipe Sautéed Fresh Goat Cheese Cigars - Cabo Negro, Morocco

Francesca

Local time
3:32 PM
When the Ottoman Turks, reigned in Morocco, one of their gastronomic contributions was Warka, the thin semolina crepes eventually used for b´stilia, the country´s renowned pigeon pastry, and for briouats, the popular Moroccan pastries ..

Wonton wrappers are highly suggested .. Briouats can be savory or sweet and rolled up like cigars or shaped in triangles ..

Here is a tiny récipe which I serve with Champagne or Cava as an "amuse boûche" (appetiser or aperitif ).

Recipe:

Montrachet goat cheese ( Crumble the fresh goat cheese )
1/ 2 cup minced fresh parsley
1 tiny clove of lavender garlic minced
1 / 2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsps. Pimenton de La Vera smoked Paprika
24 Wonton Wrappers ( serves 4)
1 sustainable egg beaten just to blend
1 / 4 cup Spanish, Italian or French or Greek or Turkish Evoo ( extra virgin olive oil )

1) Mix the first 5 ingredients in a large glass bowl .
2) Place 1 wonton wrapper on a work Surface.
3) Spoon 1 scant tablespoon of the cheese filling in a narrow strip across 1 end of the Wonton and leave a 1/4 inch border on both sides.
4) Fold the sides inwards, then roll up as for the cigars, and leave a 1/8 inch border and brush this border with the egg and press to seal the cigars ..
5) Heat the Evoo in a large skillet and add the wonton cigars and sauté until Golden Brown ..
6) Sauté 1 minute per side - and turn over and do the other side ..
7) Using thongs, transfer to paper towels and drain ..
8) Repeat in batches until all are done ..
9) Serve hot .. With Olives, Sparkling Wine of choice and preserved lemons if you wish or a drizzle of lemon juice ..

Amazingly wonderful ..

Last edited:
When the Ottoman Turks, reigned in Morocco, one of their gastronomic contributions was Warka, the thin semolina crepes eventually used for b´stilia, the country´s renowned pigeon pastry, and for briouats, the popular Moroccan pastries ..

Wonton wrappers are highly suggested .. Briouats can be savory or sweet and rolled up like cigars or shaped in triangles ..

Here is a tiny récipe which I serve with Champagne or Cava as an "amuse boûche" (appetiser or aperitif ).

Recipe:

Montrachet goat cheese ( Crumble the fresh goat cheese )
1/ 2 cup minced fresh parsley
1 tiny clove of lavender garlic minced
1 / 2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsps. Pimenton de La Vera smoked Paprika
24 Wonton Wrappers ( serves 4)
1 sustainable egg beaten just to blend
1 / 4 cup Spanish, Italian or French or Greek or Turkish Evoo ( extra virgin olive oil )

1) Mix the first 5 ingredients in a large glass bowl .
2) Place 1 wonton wrapper on a work Surface.
3) Spoon 1 scant tablespoon of the cheese filling in a narrow strip across 1 end of the Wonton and leave a 1/4 inch border on both sides.
4) Fold the sides inwards, then roll up as for the cigars, and leave a 1/8 inch border and brush this border with the egg and press to seal the cigars ..
5) Heat the Evoo in a large skillet and add the wonton cigars and sauté until Golden Brown ..
6) Sauté 1 minute per side - and turn over and do the other side ..
7) Using thongs, transfer to paper towels and drain ..
8) Repeat in batches until all are done ..
9) Serve hot .. With Olives, Sparkling Wine of choice and preserved lemons if you wish or a drizzle of lemon juice ..

Amazingly wonderful ..

@Francesca this recipe is very interesting..could almost remember the preparation of ravioli (apart that they are not fried)

Crespi... something or other? No that's not it - just searched and that is pancakes - Crespolini. These were fried ravioli. There seem to be lots of American recipes for fried raviloli but I can't find any Italian ones!

Last edited:
Crespi... something or other? No that's not it - just searched and that is pancakes - Crespolini. These were fried ravioli. There seem to be lots of American recipes for fried raviloli but I can't find any Italian ones!

Oh crespelle! Wow I love them, not proper ravioli, they are very similar to crepes and stuffed with cheese, ham or mushrooms. Did you eat these?

@MypinchofItaly

This récipe hails from Morocco´s Port of Call Cabo Negro, and we had dined at a lovely restaurant by the sea and had these Goat Cheese Cigars as an appetiser .. The lovely French, Moroccan Chef de Cuisine had given me her récipe and these goat cheese cigars were simply to die and go to heaven for ..

These are called " Briouats " and I had made them with Wonton Wrappers for ease and time factor verses a semolina pastry dough ..

Thanks Dear and have a lovely evening ..

Busy this week as we have holidays here and we have a trip for business 15th - 19th ..

All my best ..

Last edited:
@morning glory

These goat cheese cigars are called " Briouats " and are a traditional Moroccan Appetiser ( see history of this appetiser in my intro ) in this región, Cabo de Negro, Port of Call ..

You would like these as they are very versatile ..

@MypinchofItaly

Crespelle are delicious .. I had eaten them when I was in Napoli, I believe it was .. However, I would have to check my Italian restaurant collection from Italy ..

I had them with cheese of course !!

Have a lovely day ..

Back
Top Bottom