Recipe Scalloped Ham And Potato Bake

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
7:46 AM
scalloped_ham_potato_bake.jpg

Leftover ham never tasted so good. These potatoes with a light cheese sauce will comfort you from the inside out.

Ingredients
2 cups ham, diced
5 cups potatoes, peeled, sliced
1 onion, diced
5 tablespoons flour
1 dash pepper

For The Sauce
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup cheddar cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 350.
Combine all ham and potato ingredients. Layer in a 2 quart greased casserole dish.
For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour and cook for one minute until smooth. Add milk, dry mustard and cheese. Cover over low heat until cheese is melted.
Pour cheese sauce over potato mixture. Bake for 1 hour or until potatos are done.

http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--153694/scalloped-ham-and-potato-bake.asp

This is very similar to the way that I prepare it. I have never put the dry mustard in it before so I am going to try that the next time I make it. It would taste great with the ham. This is another one of those comfort foods that I really enjoy.

Sounds good! I love scalloped potatoes. My only slight problem is why the flour in part one of the recipe? You have flour to thicken the cheese sauce so why is it needed in the potato mix too? Perhaps @L_B can explain...

I am responding without even reading the recipe. This has to be heavenly. The name speaks for itself. I had a look after all and I am fine without the flour period. I feel like I have made a similar dish with bacon. Six is half a dozen really. Ham, bacon.........

Last edited:
I just finished all of our ham. I think we can use the same recipe with bacon. Thanks for reminding me of this dish.

I could probably try this as a Christmas Dish my relatives will be impressed by this recipe. everybody likes Ham. cheese and potato. Nothing can go wrong with this recipe, looks easy to do as well, I am giving this a try. The comments above is true this is definitely what qualifies as a comfort food. :happy:

I grew up eating this dish. I think we must have had it once a week. Oh yes, that reminds me I was thinking of making some scalloped corn for Christmas. I will have to remember that. There are lots of things I want to prepare. The only problem is I have champagne tastes on a beer budget.. Well I will do my best to get all the special dishes done!

This looks fantastic. I have been search for ham recipes and this is something my kids would love. I find at this time of the year ham always goes on sale so I am always on the look out for new recipes that use ham.

Back
Top Bottom