Scones ?

sidevalve

Guru
Local time
12:12 AM
Ok - one for you guys in the US here. I have been asking around and nobody seems to know what you call a scone [or even if you have them] over there. Here I mean a basic fruit scone. My wife didn't know [she was over there at college for about a year] and neither does anyone else it seems. Just wondering.

I think they are generally called biscuits in America. However, there are subtle differances between them, IE sugar in one and not the other, and the type of fat used. We use butter, they tend to use shortening and or butter milk. Hope this helps

I have to agree, it does seem to be a rather British thing. I can't see how they would be called a biscuit though, given that they are more of a sweet muffin... though that does not explain a cheese scone and then there is the Irish Scone made with buttermilk...

I have to agree, it does seem to be a rather British thing. I can't see how they would be called a biscuit though, given that they are more of a sweet muffin... though that does not explain a cheese scone and then there is the Irish Scone made with buttermilk...
I think that something very similar is called biscuits and they are generally used for savoury toppings on casseroles (the uncooked dough rounds are put on top towards the end of cooking, rather as we might put dumplings on top). Its quite confusing. I was wondering today if there was a good US/UK cookery translation tool. If not, maybe we should build one here!

I was wondering today if there was a good US/UK cookery translation tool. If not, maybe we should build one here!
I had suggested one early on in the site's life but it was vetoed by the members who thought it unnecessary! Where we would start would be a mystery to me nowadays.

@welsh dragon how were your scones? Choc chip or boring sultana?

I had suggested one early on in the site's life but it was vetoed by the members who thought it unnecessary! Where we would start would be a mystery to me nowadays.

Oh dear. Boring sultana ones I'm afraid SNSSO. But Mr WD and number 3 grandson liked them....a lot. They're all gone.

A few years ago we made cheese and spring onion scones, jolly nice they were too :thumbsup:

I don't see any reason why we can't do it, there are times when I have read a thread and wondered what the person meant. US/UK cookery translation thread would be a good idea.

A few years ago we made cheese and spring onion scones, jolly nice they were too :thumbsup:
Savoury scones are great with soups as an alternative to bread,,water cress is another nice one or Parmesan ,really nice with a cheese board as well

I don't see any reason why we can't do it, there are times when I have read a thread and wondered what the person meant. US/UK cookery translation thread would be a good idea.
I'll put something together somewhere sensible and people can add to it as a reply which I can update as we go along, so that everything stays in a sensible place (I was thinking of categorising it so weights went in with weights and vegetables with vegetables etc) then I can delete the persons entry so it does not get too confusing, so we have a kind of master table going.

I'll put something together somewhere sensible and people can add to it as a reply which I can update as we go along, so that everything stays in a sensible place (I was thinking of categorising it so weights went in with weights and vegetables with vegetables etc) then I can delete the persons entry so it does not get too confusing, so we have a kind of master table going.

Sounds like a good idea.

Well judging by some of the confusions I've seen, I think it would be handy. There must be one somewhere on internet.
Not sure I quite understand what you mean (the detail) but it sounds a good idea!

Savoury scones are great with soups as an alternative to bread,,water cress is another nice one or Parmesan ,really nice with a cheese board as well
Water cress scones? That sounds really strange... do you chop the cress up fine or what?

I grew up eating scones in New England. They're not nearly as prevalent here in Texas, at least in my experience. They weren't like biscuits at all, other than they were made with dough. They were much heavier than biscuits, or any other bread-type product I can think of, and were made with a variety of ingredients, such as pumpkin, blueberry, etc.

I think that something very similar is called biscuits and they are generally used for savoury toppings on casseroles (the uncooked dough rounds are put on top towards the end of cooking, rather as we might put dumplings on top). Its quite confusing. I was wondering today if there was a good US/UK cookery translation tool. If not, maybe we should build one here!

@morning glory @SatNavSaysStraightOn I've come across many unfamiliar terms here. It's very educational and I enjoy hearing the stories and learning about the foods and customs of the different countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom