Scones ?

@morning glory In my world, the left one is a biscuit, and is yummy with butter, or especially, gravy. The one on the right is a cookie. :cool::laugh::clown:Apparently it's now time to head over to 3 tips.
So you would eat them with gravy? Please don't tell me that gravy means something different in the US! :laugh: I'm assuming you mean savoury sauce? Is this what I was thinking of when I mentioned (see earlier post) that in US I thought they were put on top of stews (as we in the UK might cook dumplings)? Or do you mean with gravy poured over them?

So you would eat them with gravy? Please don't tell me that gravy means something different in the US! :laugh: I'm assuming you mean savoury sauce? Is this what I was thinking of when I mentioned (see earlier post) that in US I thought they were put on top of stews (as we in the UK might cook dumplings)? Or do you mean with gravy poured over them?

Here's a recipe for the gravy that would be poured over the biscuits: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sausage-gravy.html It's usually called sausage, or red eye gravy, or it can be made without the sausage, and is then called cream gravy.

Here's a recipe for the biscuits themselves (and gravy, as well): http://www.food.com/recipe/southern-biscuits-and-gravy-236284

I usually use Bisquick baking mix to make my biscuits, but I wasn't sure if y'all had it over there, or if it would even be the same there, so the above recipe should suffice. They're comfort food, and I especially love them for dinner/supper.

Ooh, I was looking for a good pic of them to accompany this, and found Ree Drummond's recipe for drop biscuits, also. I always make drop biscuits to go with my gravy. Here's that recipe: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/03/drop-biscuits-and-sausage-gravy/

And yes, I smother them in gravy, yum!

Just had another scone. I have been experimenting with a vegan wholemeal cheese and onion scone with some dried scallions that I picked up cheaply recently. It worked out really well actually and there was a very definite hint of a cheese flavour and a slightly stronger onion flavour, but not too strong and certainly not overpowering. I shall have to continue to work on it, but the really good news is that the wholemeal vegan scone was light and fluffy which was what I was after, so I have the texture sorted, I just need to sort the taste out.

Here's a recipe for the gravy that would be poured over the biscuits: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sausage-gravy.html It's usually called sausage, or red eye gravy, or it can be made without the sausage, and is then called cream gravy.

Here's a recipe for the biscuits themselves (and gravy, as well): http://www.food.com/recipe/southern-biscuits-and-gravy-236284

I usually use Bisquick baking mix to make my biscuits, but I wasn't sure if y'all had it over there, or if it would even be the same there, so the above recipe should suffice. They're comfort food, and I especially love them for dinner/supper.

Ooh, I was looking for a good pic of them to accompany this, and found Ree Drummond's recipe for drop biscuits, also. I always make drop biscuits to go with my gravy. Here's that recipe: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/03/drop-biscuits-and-sausage-gravy/

And yes, I smother them in gravy, yum!

I've just been looking at the recipe for sausage gravy from Pioneer Woman. I was amazed to see its sort of white and creamy! This is a world apart from anything I would have expected and I think other UK folk will also find it very strange. I'm going to post a new thread about Gravy as this is going off-topic (I'll reference your post).

I've just been looking at the recipe for sausage gravy from Pioneer Woman. I was amazed to see its sort of white and creamy! This is a world apart from anything I would have expected and I think other UK folk will also find it very strange. I'm going to post a new thread about Gravy as this is going off-topic (I'll reference your post).

Thanks, I saw that before this. I included another cream gravy recipe over there, it's similar to the sausage cream gravy recipe used on the biscuits. The biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steak and gravy recipes are from the Southern U.S., and aren't found much in the North, or at least not in the Northeast, where I'm from, so I was delighted to discover them when I moved to Texas.

From what I remember, a scone is crumpet. Huh, that makes it harder to understand? Hahahaaa. Well, a scone is a soft biscuit or wafer that usually holds a small paper for fortune. The fortune cookie is a scone. Correct me if I am wrong on this. Now, the crumpet is more common here because of the Chinese influence on our food. It is bigger than the fortune cookie but the taste and texture is almost the same.

From what I remember, a scone is crumpet. Huh, that makes it harder to understand? Hahahaaa. Well, a scone is a soft biscuit or wafer that usually holds a small paper for fortune. The fortune cookie is a scone. Correct me if I am wrong on this. Now, the crumpet is more common here because of the Chinese influence on our food. It is bigger than the fortune cookie but the taste and texture is almost the same.

I'll let someone from the UK answer this one, because I've heard of crumpets, but am not familiar with them. I never imagined crumpets to be like fortune cookies, but pictured them closer to something like a croissant. I do love fortune cookies, but my last attempt was a flop.

Crumpets are made with yeast and look like this

crumpets.jpg

They are about. 8-10cm in diameter no more and never vary in size. They are best made and allowed to cool before being reheated and served with butter or something similar.

They are about. 8-10cm in diameter no more and never vary in size. They are best made and allowed to cool before being reheated and served with butter or something similar.

Oh, thank you for the information. At least we now know what crumpet really is... although they look different from what have seen. Well, it may just be the name that the food has for the place and that name might have a different appearance depending on the place. I like the part where you said serced with butter or something similar. I feel like getting hungry for a mid afternoon snack. Hahahaaa.

View attachment 1150

Ahhhh, I'm so glad you posted the picture. Now I remember we actually did have those once or twice, growing up. I think my mom was curious about what they were, and sought them out. They are difficult to find, not a staple in our grocery stores, unlike English muffins. . They do look similar to American English muffins, but the consistency is different. The English muffins are softer, and the crumpets were thicker and somewhat more chewy.

I am forgetting about scones. I remember to have carried them to school when I was young. I liked them with fruit juice or hot tea. Nowadays I have never heard about them. I think people opted to buying bread than scones.

Well I remembered this thread and I thought I would make me some scones to pull me out of my baking slump. It was my first time ever and I had a little hiccup making the dough too wet but I was able to save them. Flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, milk, eggs, salt and I added some raisin and cranberries and a dash of cinnamon. I am trying them again and next time I hope they are perfect.

Back
Top Bottom