Scones ?

Why are sultanas boring? I prefer them. But then, I don't like chocolate.
It was all that was usually ever available when we went out and I hate sultanas. My preference was for a nice savoury cheese scone, but sadly no longer being able to eat dairy, I am not able to have them.
Sultanas just got boring through the '80's and 90's. Thankfully people realised that other flavours were available and started making plain or very daringly, chocolate chip! But I could easily live off chocolate... just not sultanas. I hate the squidgy insides...

I grew up eating scones in New England. They're not nearly as prevalent here in Texas, at least in my experience. They weren't like biscuits at all, other than they were made with dough. They were much heavier than biscuits, or any other bread-type product I can think of, and were made with a variety of ingredients, such as pumpkin, blueberry, etc.

That sounds more like what we in UK would call scones. Here is a classic UK sultana scone:

images-3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove the leaves from the stalk
It only works with proper watercress , not the bags ,we are spoilt near me there are beds every where

I used to live near Arlesford (famous for its watercress beds). Do you then chop the leaves finely? Well I suppose you must, otherwise you'd get whole watercress leaves on the scone which would, perhaps, be weird.

Every scone I have seen around here has been plain. No raisins, no chocolate chips, no nothing. They do look like a Kentucky biscuit to me but sweeter and like someone said heavier. I am yet to make any plain or otherwise. Are they as easy as I am thinking? Baking is not my forte.

I have a daughter who makes the most yummy scones all of the time. And yes, she uses a recipe specifically for scones. She makes the with zested lemon, lime, or orange peel in them and they are yummy. She also makes them with dried fruit such as cranberries, blueberries, raisens, mango, ect. Some she makes with chocolate chips or pecans, walnuts, ect. She makes cinnamon scones, too, Her scones are not very sweet and I would never refer to them as a biscuit, but they are similiar. All I know is they are delicious. She makes them wedge shaped but also round. When she makes them they do not last long.

MMMMMMM I just wrote a post and it is not showing up,, so here goes again!!
My daughter makes the most wonderful scones and they are from a scone recipe. She does them plain with lemon, lime or orange zest in them and a bit of glaze with the zest in them also. Sooo good. She also makes them with dried fruit such as cranberries, blueberries, dates, ect and they are wonderful, too. The other day she made them with chocolate chips and they vanished like magic. All I know is they are very good and I would never refer to them as a type of biscuit.

MMMMMMM I just wrote a post and it is not showing up,, so here goes again!!
My daughter makes the most wonderful scones and they are from a scone recipe. She does them plain with lemon, lime or orange zest in them and a bit of glaze with the zest in them also. Sooo good. She also makes them with dried fruit such as cranberries, blueberries, dates, ect and they are wonderful, too. The other day she made them with chocolate chips and they vanished like magic. All I know is they are very good and I would never refer to them as a type of biscuit.

Perhaps terms vary across the US? Look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit which shows difference between American and UK biscuits and suggests that the American one looks like a scone. Which it certainly does seem to! Here is the image with the American 'biscuit' on the left and the UK one on the right. :scratchhead:

500px-BiscuitsAmerican&British.png

Every scone I have seen around here has been plain. No raisins, no chocolate chips, no nothing. They do look like a Kentucky biscuit to me but sweeter and like someone said heavier. I am yet to make any plain or otherwise. Are they as easy as I am thinking? Baking is not my forte.
They are seriously easy to make. I can make them in roughly 10 minutes excluding baking time. They are something I usually make with children because it is hard to go too far wrong with them unless you make the dough too wet. It should be a dry, but soft dough.

Some recipes.

normal everyday scones - can be plain, choc chip or sultana
https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...e-or-normal-with-appropriate-substitutions.9/

Cheese scones
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/cheese-scones.10/

A vegan version
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/vegan-scones.12/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/scones/

The scone where I live looks something like the one in the link . I have seen a lot online with raisins but that's not what I am used to as a scone. Caribbean Girl can jump in and let me know if she has the same concept of a cone.

I didn't know much of them either, living in a very backwoods part of the USA. I've heard about them of course; seen them in movies and shows and the like. But I never did try them. I'm sad I never had, because I just got some decently fresh baked ones and I can see why the British had "Tea Time" as such a means of importance. With such a beautiful biscuit to go down with a nice steaming cup of tea/coffee/what have you. Nice snack and then back to work.

Back
Top Bottom