Scotch eggs for everyone but me.

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:54 PM
Ok my kids my wife and my friend butcher have been on my case for weeks to make these again. I last made about a year ago. I'm not a big fan but everyone else loves them.
Boiled eggs rolled in flour . Plastic film laid out and dollops of sausage meat laid out, tomato relish middle of meat then wrap around the egg. Crumbed and fried.

Look good too.

Russ

I keep trying to get Craig to agree to try them. I'd like to try making them at least once, but he doesn't want and I'm not sure why because there is nothing in them that he doesn't like individually.

I keep trying to get Craig to agree to try them. I'd like to try making them at least once, but he doesn't want and I'm not sure why because there is nothing in them that he doesn't like individually.

I should make these more, they only took like 30 mins from boiling to frying. Two picked up already.

Russ

o5uzvfoyqss6utx6ryea_img_0657-jpg.jpg

I love scotch eggs, but they're so huge that each one is basically a meal. I've found that I need about 4 ounces of sausage to fully wrap a chicken egg. But, if I feel like torturing myself, I make them with quail eggs. They're smaller, which makes the portion more sensible, but soft-boiling quail eggs and trying to peel them...well, that's a fun time in the kitchen!

I didn't see an appreciable difference between baking and frying, taste-wise. The real difference is that baking tends to cook the scotch egg through to the middle, so you won't get a runny yolk. Frying is fast enough to preserve the runny yolk (though I haven't gotten them to do this with quail eggs).

Yes the size makes the difference, we got the smallest size we can buy,not free range. I boiled 5 eggs and used a 400gms of sausage meat. It made enough for 4 eggs and enough for half an egg, which I threw out.
I wouldn't try baking, crumbed then fried works best.

Russ

, but soft-boiling quail eggs and trying to peel them...well, that's a fun time in the kitchen!

Do you know the easy way to peel quail's eggs (soft or hard boiled)? Immerse them in (cheap) vinegar for ten mins or more and the shell begins to dissolve. Here are some I did. They start to 'fizz':

And the shell peels off really easily - almost in one go as you can see!

Probably the heaviest meal I have ever eaten. Still taste very good though.

I used to eat them regularly when I was bulking at the gym. They were my post-workout snack because of the good amount of carbohydrates and protein. But, to be honest with you, they are much better as a breakfast or brunch because once you eat one of them it gets you covered for quite a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom