Seafood export/import UK

Marina doing what comes naturally. Here she will take the fish down to the beach and clean them in the sea. The tourists watch in disbelief.

Yes I've been to some of the markets in and around Barcelona, stunning and France is excellent too, couldn't really see the prices well enough to compare, I am lucky enought to live near hastings and day boats come in but normally the only stuff on offer in the 'sheds' are Huss, Cuttle Fish, some Dabs and a few bass ... we also have local mongers end they bring a lot down from Billingsgate so we're quite well off here (we have a couple of 'smokeries' as well, Salmon and Mackerel etc ) but as always most fish is now very expensive ... I'll try and make a note of prices next week. don't get me wrong, fishing is a hard and dangerous game and the guys need to be paid well but so often the middle men and the 'shippers' make to most dosh !

I am lucky enought to live near hastings
I know that area quite well, I had a friend who lived in Pett Level when I was living near Churt by Frencham Pond. Fishing here is different, the Croatian coastal waters are clean very fertile. Most of the fish is caught by small boats at night and brought to the market the next day. Prior to EU membership Italian trawlers would raid, they were very often caught, fined and their boats confiscated. This does not happen now.The EU's punishment is far more draconian.

Commercial fishing in Croatian waters is subject to a licensing system established by the Marine Fisheries Act of 1994. The concept of commercial fishing entails all types of catching or collecting of fish or other marine organisms aiming at making profit (Article 3.2 of the Marine Fisheries Act of 1994).

No foreign person is allowed to engage in commercial fishing activities within Croatian waters unless he/she is authorized to do so through an international agreement. Unlike the UK Croatia did not sell this major asset.

I know that area quite well, I had a friend who lived in Pett Level when I was living near Churt by Frencham Pond. Fishing here is different, the Croatian coastal waters are clean very fertile. Most of the fish is caught by small boats at night and brought to the market the next day. Prior to EU membership Italian trawlers would raid, they were very often caught, fined and their boats confiscated. This does not happen now.The EU's punishment is far more draconian.

Commercial fishing in Croatian waters is subject to a licensing system established by the Marine Fisheries Act of 1994. The concept of commercial fishing entails all types of catching or collecting of fish or other marine organisms aiming at making profit (Article 3.2 of the Marine Fisheries Act of 1994).

No foreign person is allowed to engage in commercial fishing activities within Croatian waters unless he/she is authorized to do so through an international agreement. Unlike the UK Croatia did not sell this major asset.

Don’t get me start about croatian boats in Italian waters, ok?

Last edited:
I would love to read factual reports like this " Most concerns are about the vastly superior fleet from EU neighbor Italy, whose boats often poached in Croatian waters in the past."
FOTO, VIDEO: PRIVEDENI TALIJANSKI KRIVOLOVCI Pomorska policija dovela veliku ribaricu u zadarsku postaju, a posada novinarima pokazala 'srednji prst'
I would love to read factual reports like this " Most concerns are about the vastly superior fleet from EU neighbor Italy, whose boats often poached in Croatian waters in the past."
FOTO, VIDEO: PRIVEDENI TALIJANSKI KRIVOLOVCI Pomorska policija dovela veliku ribaricu u zadarsku postaju, a posada novinarima pokazala 'srednji prst'

Factious.
And stop going ahead.

Most fish used in battered fish & chips in Australia is Flake which is a variety of gummy shark.
When I lived in the UK I cooked skate a number of times, it was not something I'd ever seen in Aus before. I seem to recall that actual fishmongers were not common (I was mostly based in London) and that the supermarket fish was prawns, cod/haddock, and salmon as previously mentioned.
I travelled with friends through Turkey & Greece and when were in coastal towns we had a lovely time going to a fishmonger (or the markets) and choosing fish (we never really knew what we were getting) and cooking it

Back
Top Bottom